Notices

Handbrake light not coming on (96 Accord EX-R)

Old 12-15-2005, 06:46 AM
funbobby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handbrake light not coming on (96 Accord EX-R)

hey guys, i've got this annoying problem i'm trying to figure out if it's happened to anyone before. when i pull up my handbrake, my handbrake light does not come on. it used to before until a coincidental incident maybe. the incident was as such:

i was driving on the highway and then it started to rain. then all of a sudden my hand brake light came on out of no where. obviously my hand brake was down so i pulled over thinking something was messed. as i was pulling over i noticed every time i pushed down on my clutch the hand brake light went off...then came on when i let go of the clutch. weird huh. so anyways i turn the car off...wait a bit...turn it back on...same problem. then the handbrake light slowly started to fade away...now it doesn't come on. only when i start my car do i see it flash with all the other lights.

anyone got any ideas as to what i can try or do? is this an electrical problem? some fluid problem? is it a coincidence this is happening as my DRL module is currently disconnected? any thoughts or suggestions would greatly help.

thanks in advance,

bobby
Old 12-15-2005, 06:54 AM
mn__30

Check the brake fluid level. If the level is kind of low and when you make a sharp turn, a sudden stop or hit a pot hole the floater in the master cylinder might set it off. Check the fluid and top it off.

NOTE: If your brake fluid is low that might be a sign that your brake pads or low. Check your brakes
Old 12-18-2005, 01:58 PM
funbobby

hey,

yeah i already checked it out. the brake pads are fine (i just got the pads and rotors replace a while back). the fluid level is fine too i checked the level, it's at maximum. i originally thought the fluid level was low. i called up the honda dealership in my area to get some suggestions, he said it may be an electrical problem? but that's just over the phone no one has actually looked at it. although if my rear brakes being worn out has anything to do with it. i've only had my front brakes done. for example if i wanted to slow down my car using the handbrake...it doesn't lock them up right away (indicating that they are weak or worn out).

bobby