Notices

Gear shift stuck in park

Old 12-08-2005, 06:27 AM
ktrail

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear shift stuck in park

It is exactly what it sounds like...I cannot even depress the button on the gear shift to move the shifter out of park. But, if I take the keys out of the ignition and use the shifter unlock I can easily move it into neutral. I do not believe that I can start the car in a gear other than park, however I'm going to check this out tonight. Anyone have an idea of what might be wrong? It's an '89 Honda Accord, I don't usually have problems with her, but every so often she comes up with something interesting and it's usually bad timing.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:16 AM
stereo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you sure it's a 89 with the popup headlights? as the shifter release slot started in 90 and when the key got stuck the P light on the dash didn't light up (usally when it's cold) and when it did the key would come out. if so it's the shift position switch that is bad. the car will start in park or neutral!
Old 12-08-2005, 09:37 AM
ktrail

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Fix

Yea, it's definitely an '89 accord, pop-up headlights and all. But we talked to a trusted mechanic over the phone and we think we have found our solution. There has been a problem with the accords that if you step on the brake and try to depress the shifter button at the exact same time that the solenoid switch locks up the shifter...it has to happen in the right order, press brake down and then push in the button as there is an electrical signal that activates mechanical action. So when I jumped into my car and hurriedly tried to put the car in drive I locked it up. The reason I had put the car in park in the first place was because my driver's side window wouldn't go down and I needed to get a ticket to the parking garage. There was line forming so I was hurrying. That's a separate issue in itself. Thanks for your help though!