Notices

car won't heat up

Old 12-13-2005, 06:35 PM
95tegRS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car takes forever to warm up as well. my mom has a 94 Teg auto and it warms up in 3 mins flat. and temp needle in her car goes from 1/4-1/2.

In my 5 speed my temp needle stays around the 'C' the whole time. I slipped piece of card board infront of my radiator, and the car warms up alot better now. I installed a new rad in my teg 2 summers ago, and ever since then i noticed my car runs alot cooler in the summer, and on the downside alot cooler in the winter as well
Old 12-14-2005, 09:48 AM
travis in wa

Do the newer thermostats have the little dongle like the older one?
On my '89, there's a hole with a dongle hanging on it. That's supposed to be up.
Could an improperly installed t-stat allow too much coolant through to prevent proper warm up?
Old 12-14-2005, 02:37 PM
tegbooster
Resident Ninja-photo'er

i feel so bad for u guys lol, im in SOCAL also, and it's depressing to hear about this "20 minute warmup" thing .... o well....im in a jacket, gloves, beanie, and jeans and it's only 67 out right now lol
Old 12-14-2005, 05:29 PM
daschwa

Yes, an improperly installed thermostat would definately cause problems, in my case, the gasket was not installed correctly and caused a ton of problems. If your unsure about the thermostat put it in a pot of water and put it on the stove and apply heat, eventualy you will see it open and erase/confirm oubts of a bad thermostat. This is what I did and when I saw it open normally I realized it was something I was doing wrong.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:30 PM
travis in wa

just make sure when inspecting the t-stat cold that it's completely closed. It doesn't have to be stuck open much.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:56 PM
Amirked

sounds like a thermostat to me. I live in Minnesota and it gets damn cold here - had the same problem a while back, changed the thermostat and it works fine. However, if that does not do the trick try getting a new radiator cap. A week cap won't let the pressure build up in the system - cheap fix too.

Good luck.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:15 PM
95tegraGSR

Wow, glad I saw this thread. I've been freezing for the last week not knowing what's wrong. My needle rests on C all the time now, even if I've been driving for an hour. I just called AutoZone for the thermostat and they have one for my GSR for $11.95. Should I not buy this one since it's not brand name? How hard is this to change myself? I really don't want to pay someone $85 labor for a $12 part. Thanks!
Old 12-15-2005, 05:11 AM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tegbooster
i feel so bad for u guys lol, im in SOCAL also, and it's depressing to hear about this "20 minute warmup" thing .... o well....im in a jacket, gloves, beanie, and jeans and it's only 67 out right now lol
i've got 3 layers on my pants, 6 on my chest, and i'm contemplating more.

--hey guys just be glad the t-stat wasnt stuck in the other direction... my moms car overheated like crazy and I almost had to drive out to get her in like the back woods of PA
Old 12-15-2005, 07:32 AM
travis in wa

How hard to change??? I don't know on the 94s. On my 89, it was a bit of a bugger, but not really too bad at all. The hard part was because it's buried under the distributor. So getting at it was tricky.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:38 AM
R_Squared
LEVEL UP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95tegraGSR
Wow, glad I saw this thread. I've been freezing for the last week not knowing what's wrong. My needle rests on C all the time now, even if I've been driving for an hour. I just called AutoZone for the thermostat and they have one for my GSR for $11.95. Should I not buy this one since it's not brand name? How hard is this to change myself? I really don't want to pay someone $85 labor for a $12 part. Thanks!
I would just go with a Honda thermostat. I originally got one from Autozone but then took it back after hearing that a lot of them are faulty to begin with. I picked up a Honda one instead. I can't remember how much I paid for it, but it wasn't much. I'm still waiting to put it in though...