Notices

bolt-ons and weight reduction....which first?

Old 12-07-2005, 03:46 AM
FallenAngelHIM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bolt-ons and weight reduction....which first?

which would honestly be better to do first? since none of us, including myself, have infinite amounts of money, what would be the better thing to do to an accord in getting it to have more go? should bolt-on's be top priority? or should weight reduction. i figure it this way, when you do weight reduction, you can add a new look to your car....hood, bumper fender, and then not only do you get that better acceleration, but a better look. since accords aren't race cars, i think this is more beneficient on both ends. where as bolt-ons are rarely noticable...and i'm not going to even press the issue of engine swap or turbo...n/a. anyways, throw me some opinions please. and let's just use...say my car as the example. 2000 LX Sedan.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:25 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

honestly, this goes into the "what looks better" department.

A tasteful exhaust looks good on any car at any time.

A CF hood on a stock car looks pretty bad.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:16 AM
FallenAngelHIM

well, i'm not only speaking looks, looks is only an inch of importance to me. i meant in overall performance. weight reduction can come WITH looks, but overall it will gain you a better rate of acceleration. bolt ons alone, would do that, but that's not as good. i mean if you do both weight reduction and bolt ons together im sure you'll have some noticable possibilities, but i was wondering which one should go first?
Old 12-07-2005, 06:19 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

if looks aren't an issue ... take off any alloy rim and ride on steelies. That'll cut a load off. Swap to a CF hood and trunk.

Feeling lighter does way more than bolt-ons.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:39 AM
TaekOne
pronounced tech

does a CF hood/trunk lid really reduce weight by that much? i cant imagine it being more than 10-15lbs lighter than stock.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:35 PM
93EXaccord
Engines hate me!

if you have every hauled you hood and trunk around you'll notice. its been proven time after time that weight reduction will easily take simple bolt-ons. look at SCCA, the mods rarely go into engine (except for upper class i.e. GT1) and most cars run quite fast. i would go with weight reduction if i where modifing my car (its my daily) but dont be stupid about it and have 5 subs with 3 amps in your trunk then take out your spare tire.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:38 PM
DarkSideAccord
Chidori-chan :love:

i would drop the car first.... a light car without good suspension is nothing
Old 12-07-2005, 02:44 PM
jschmid

:werd: Start with the suspension. Not only will it make the car better to drive than bolt ons (I/H/E) and/or CF stuff, it'll also look much better. Then add some good sized wheels (doesn't have to be huge, but something that accomodate some wider sticky tires) and tires.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:54 PM
FallenAngelHIM

well i have one sub and one amp, which if weight will be a issue in the future, i think i might just take those out..., alright, i guess weight reduction seems to be the most fun thing to do. let me ask, is it hard to install a CF hood? what do i do with my stock hood? make a table out of it?
Old 12-07-2005, 07:56 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

idk, after experiencing my fishtailing incident, i think tires are priority.