Notices

Replacing a Front Lug Bolt on a '91 Honda Accord -- Hub/knuckle removal required?

Old 12-01-2005, 04:50 PM
cwm9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing a Front Lug Bolt on a '89 Honda Accord -- Hub/knuckle removal required?

(Sorry, the title says '91, it was supposed to say '89.) One of the front lug bolts drivers side was sheared off on my "new" used '89 Accord LXi. We bought it for $500 and didn't notice the bolt was missing until we got it home. (We were in a hurry to buy a car -- any car -- and this one was really beat up, but ran well.)

I think I have a pretty good idea about how to fix this, but I'm still quite the noob when it comes to auto mechanics. I want to know if it's possible to replace a bolt in the hub without disassembling the hub from the knuckle. I.E., if I just remove the tire, remove the spindle nut, the caliper assembly, and then the rotor, can I then remove the lug bolt and replace it without dismounting the hub/knuckle assembly? For that matter, do I even have to remove the capiler assembly and rotor?

If I have no choice but to remove the hub, I might as well let the local shop do it since they only want $35 to put in a new bolt. I'd rather do it myself, but...

Thanks for your help in advance!

-Chiem
Kauai, Hawaii
Old 12-02-2005, 02:57 PM
JDM ACCORD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately you will have to remove the hub in order to get to the bolts, I changed two bolts on my 96 accord and it wasn't easy, besides I did it with air tools, otherwise its a pain in the ass. If you don't have much experience, let the local shop do it. I'd have to say that $35 dollars is a great deal. good luck