Notices

amp and subwoofer installation

Old 11-28-2005, 07:21 PM
FallenAngelHIM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default amp and subwoofer installation

sorry guys, i couldn't find it in the search under accord/diy/audio and security section.

anyone think they can post a link to a DIY writeup for installing an amp and subwoofer...preferably on 6th gen accord, but a generic one works too. thanks.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:37 PM
shonnv
7th Gen Coupe V6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bro I highly recommend you get it done from a PRO or you would end up getting bad quality sound.

I had mine installed from a buddy of mine over stock H/U and I love the way it sounds.
I will try to find the DIY for you but will still recommend pro-installation
Old 11-28-2005, 07:45 PM
FallenAngelHIM

hmmm...i dunno, let me see how it's done and if it looks like i'm gonna die from electro-shock, then i'll go pro...how much should it run?

still want the DIY though!
Old 11-28-2005, 07:51 PM
Misa
Pic Whore

assuming you have a compatible sub-amp combo, head-unit with sub line-out, and a good wire kit...

a. run power from battery to trunk
b. run audio from head unit to trunk
c. plug it all in

hardest part is routing all the wires from the front to the rear
Old 11-28-2005, 08:40 PM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

Originally Posted by shonnv
Bro I highly recommend you get it done from a PRO or you would end up getting bad quality sound.

you can't be serious.

installing an amp is nothing more than conncting 4 wires. The hardest part is acutally mounting the damn thing.

What kind of radio do you have? Stock?
Old 11-29-2005, 12:45 AM
shonnv
7th Gen Coupe V6

Originally Posted by e3NiNe
you can't be serious.

installing an amp is nothing more than conncting 4 wires. The hardest part is acutally mounting the damn thing.

What kind of radio do you have? Stock?
I dont want to argue on this, it was just an opinion

It like tinting your windows, seems too easy but realy not
It easy to say but when you actualy do it, its a PIA. My buddy who installed mine spends about 6-8 hours to properly install a system. It took him about 3 hours to install mine with the stock HU.

Edit: They usualy charge 20 a piece for installation(around $40 for Sub, Amp) plus the parts like cables and connectors etc which you have to buy anyways. so around 80 bucks you will save 3 hours of struggle. I paid $60 for mine. The choice is yours.......
Old 11-29-2005, 03:22 AM
sponginpunk

run a power wire from battery to the location of the amp (make sure you put a good in line fuse for safety)
run the remote wire from the head unit to amp
connect ground wire to an amp. connect wires to the subs.
turn on and hope you did it right.
i agree though if youve never done it before, get a pro to do it...it is a pain in the a$$. ive always done my own stereos but i dont like to do it. so good luck....
Old 11-29-2005, 05:15 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

Here's an image diagram of what everyone has said. (assuming you have an aftermarket radio, if you have a stock one, we'll have to slightly change this.)

1. connect the RCAs. You might have multiple RCA outs on your radio ... be sure to locate the "low pass" RCA.

2. Run the "remote" wire. The radio should have a blue wire (remote). Connect that to the sub.

3. Ground the amp. You need to attach a thick guaged ground wire from the amp, to a bare metal spot on your car.

4. Run the 12V power line. Be sure to include an inline fuse.

Random tips:
most stores carry an installation kit. These run about $30 and come with:
- long RCA cables
- 4g ground wire
- 4g 12V wire
- inline fuse

Run the ground wire away from the power wire.
Run the power wire away from the RCA's.
Wrap any bare wires in electrical tape.
Connect the battery last and be sure to have your fuse attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
radio.jpg (234.2 KB, 2795 views)

Last edited by e3NiNe; 11-29-2005 at 05:19 AM.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:53 AM
jschmid

Originally Posted by shonnv
I dont want to argue on this, it was just an opinion

It like tinting your windows, seems too easy but realy not
It easy to say but when you actualy do it, its a PIA. My buddy who installed mine spends about 6-8 hours to properly install a system. It took him about 3 hours to install mine with the stock HU.

Edit: They usualy charge 20 a piece for installation(around $40 for Sub, Amp) plus the parts like cables and connectors etc which you have to buy anyways. so around 80 bucks you will save 3 hours of struggle. I paid $60 for mine. The choice is yours.......
Tinting your windows is something I'd have a professional do, because there is actually technique involved.

Hooking up an amp and sub is common sense, no sense paying someone else to do it. And how is that going to affect sq?

6-8 hours for what? If that's for HU, speakers, amp, sub he's not going to make much of a living doing that as a job.

I'm not saying to go in there blindly, but with some basic knowledge found on the internet anyone can do it.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:24 PM
FallenAngelHIM

e3NiNe, thanks a lot for the diagram it really put to sense what everyone has said; made a HUGE difference in logic! thank you everyone else for the input and directions. we'll see how it oes, i'll get a kit later next week. anything about wire gauges? or quality wires? or brands?