Notices

I'm lost. I have no clue why my car won't start.

Old 11-25-2005, 01:32 PM
Saisio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm lost. I have no clue why my car won't start.

Wrecked my car back in October, starting fishing up parts to fix it with in the last 3 weeks. So it was sitting in my driveway for a month or so w/o running. On the day of the accident, it started up fine and ran for a few mins. We have driven it around the block a few times w/o a face just to see that the engine works(ed) fine!

I have a 1994 Honda Civic DX.

So! While we were bending the body out, we unplugged the left most spark plug to make a little room, the wire was in the way. That night, I decided to show some friends that it still ran, so I started it up, with the spark plug unplugged. It ran good for 10~ seconds then died. It hasn't started since.

I have the chilton book. I have replaced the ignition coil and the ignitor, neither have fixed my problem. The spark plugs are not firing, all the fuses (I can find, more on this later) are not blown. The fuel pump is working 100%.

In the Chilton book, the fuse diagram for my car shows quite a few fuses that I cannot find in my under-dash fuse box or the one in the engine bay. Are there more fuses somehwere hidden? I cannot locate them.

The distributor is turning when we crank it, but for some reason the car will not start. It's been 2 weeks since it stopped and I really want my car back.

Any questions of anything I haven't covered I'll be more than willing to answer. Please help. Thanks a lot. x.x
Old 11-25-2005, 03:50 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Check the battery?
Old 11-25-2005, 04:02 PM
pissdoffB
Little Miss Dee

make sure youve checked the most obvious things 1st (starter, alt, battery, connections between em etc)
Old 11-25-2005, 04:06 PM
Saisio

The battery is fine, I had a friend come and hook his up to it just in case, didn't work. The alternator is working and all connections are connected. I'm really really confused. I know it's something stupid and simple but I can't find it. D:
Old 11-25-2005, 07:49 PM
B18 Black Widow

well my car has done that too but all i did was rotate the distributer a little then it started and id turn the distributer back guess it has something to do with the computer but if you havent tryed that try that and see what happens
Old 11-25-2005, 07:52 PM
LsEk

Check the timing belt.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:55 PM
p34ch0r

Are you definitely getting a spark? Are you getting fuel? Check the battery, it's most likely something (relatively) small.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:55 PM
Highmile
VX Hatch with 431,500!

Are your distributor plugs hooked up? Are your spark plug wires going to the correct plugs? Is gas getting to the cylinders and on the plugs? Crank it a bit and take out a plug and look to see if there is any gas on them. Try a distributor from another car if you can. My old dizzy had cracked wires to all the internal components. You may also try to crank the engine a bit with the plugs out to air out the cylinders. Maybe disconect the fuel pump when you do that. Hope you get it started.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:50 AM
Saisio

Fuel is flowing, there is no sparks, distributor is working fine, there's contact. I'm really confused. x.x

Getting odd results from my multimeter though. The wire from my computer to the fuse box in the engine bay shows a charge when there shouldn't be a charge. It's behaving like there's a capacitor on the wire but the diagram for my car shows no capacitor. Any ideas?
Old 11-26-2005, 12:45 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

That's the backup wire. It's supposed to have voltage so your ECU can keep its memory. When you turn the key to the ACC position (without starting the car), does the ECU light come on? It should turn on for 5 seconds while it does its self-check.

Also, your car's cranking isn't it?

You may have a busted ground somewhere.