Notices

How much should it cost to replace the timing belt?

Old 11-25-2005, 06:28 AM
znerd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much should it cost to replace the timing belt?

My 2000 accord se has about 115K on it and I am still driving on the original timing belt. I'm just wondering how much i should be charged with labor to get it changed and what are the consequences (money wise) if I don't?

Also, when my accord shifts into the next gear, it seems to slip a little and the RPMs go up until it catches. What would be the causes of that?

I don't know crap about cars so any help for a noob would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:44 AM
ItsaHonda

Transmission slippage is never a good thing. You'll likely need a replacement or rebuild. Honda dealers don't tear into transmissions, nor do they rebuild them...instead, they'll order you another transmission that has already been rebuilt. This can be a costly job. Before you do anything, call Honda of America. There was an extended tranny warranty/recall offered to 00-01 models that was good for up to 7 years or 100,000 miles. Although your car has 115k, Honda is good about offering goodwill service to owners. While they'll likely not pay for the entire job, they'll meet you half way on the cost. Unfortunately, the 6th gen Accords were born with bad carrier bearings in their automatic transmissions. Some go out much sooner, though the 4-cyl units generally lasted a bit longer...especially if you changed your fluid frequently with Honda ATF (automatic transmission fluid) Slippage is the first sign of a major problem ahead.

As for the timing belt, the total job can cost you anywhere between $400-$1,000 depending on who does the work. Dealers will usually be the most expensive (generally charging anywhere between $700-$1,000) The average labor costs at a local garage is about $200. The parts themselves from the dealer will also run you about $200. You can buy aftermarket and save some $$, but I recommend sticking with Honda parts for this job. If the belt snaps, you'll likely be coming on here asking us where you can find a good deal for a new engine (on top of needing a transmission) Spending a few hundred now can save you thousands later.

Here are the parts you need from Honda:

Timing belt
Balance shaft belt
Tensioner
Water pump/seal
Oil seal

Someone else chime in if I'm leaving out anything.

Good luck, keep us posted on the outcome.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:18 PM
Jon02Accord

the honda dealer quoted me somewhere around 600-700$ to have the timing belt, other belts, water pump, hoses, coolant, and a couple other things changed.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:56 PM
sponginpunk

600 sounds bout right for all that
Old 11-25-2005, 06:10 PM
AccordVT
Ian

Default Wow

That is alot of money, how much of that is parts? ($ of doing it myslef) whats really envolved in a 94 accord ex auto?
Old 11-25-2005, 06:20 PM
01ACCORD

Originally Posted by AccordVT
That is alot of money, how much of that is parts? ($ of doing it myslef) whats really envolved in a 94 accord ex auto?
Depends on how good of a mechanic you are. It's not a simple task. Parts I think (someone correct me) are about $150 for everything.

Luckily, AAMCO hired the former head mechanic at my Honda dealer, I let him do these dirty deeds. I think I got this done for about $525.

The fact this most of this is all labor should tell you something about the difficulty.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:53 PM
p34ch0r

Standard T-belt services are the timing belt, balance shaft belt, drive belts (PS, AC, Alt) and water pump. Seals and tensioners may be thrown in if a tech notices they're leaking, but like I said, they're usually not in the "base" T-belt service. Partswise, you're talking ~$150-200, and like the others have said, it's mostly labor. With the 4bangers like yours, you're going to end up taking the valve cover and timing belt covers off, just to give you a hint of what sort of work needs to be done.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:34 AM
Thooks
President-2008

I was at the Honda dealer in Rome, GA yesterday and priced a timing belt replacement kit for a 95 I4 Vtec. $225 for the parts:

Timing Belt
Balancer belt
Water pump
Valve cover gasket
Front crank seal
Another seal I forgot
Power steering belt
Drive belt

I'm sure you'll want to flush the coolant, add a gallon of that also.

I'm thinking this is a 4 hour job, at $70 per hour, that's $280 plus $250 in parts and tax. I think any dealer should be able to do it in 4 hours. They got the tools, experience and have done many.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:59 PM
FallenAngelHIM

does changing these "timing belt" maintenances show any sign of improved driving? do you notice any changes? or does it feel the same? what was it for a 6th gen 2000 accord? 70000 miles to change right?
Old 11-26-2005, 09:01 PM
frank69m

Originally Posted by AccordVT
If you need to ask this question, then you probably won't even try to do a timing belt yourself.