Notices

Intermittent Battery Light

Old 11-24-2005, 10:40 PM
Highmile
VX Hatch with 431,500!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Battery Light

My Battery light has been coming on but not all the time. The first time it happened, I drove straight to O'rielly's (where I got the alternator and have a warranty) to get it checked out and there were no problems. I've kept going for a week now and the light is on more and more. Tonight, I didn't go out becasue the lights seemed dim. I have all my tools ready to take to work that I will need for an alternator change. It's going to be cold. I'm pretty sure that's gotta be it.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:43 AM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

It's not uncommon for a rebuilt alternator to be bad right out of the box. Keep your tools and receipt handy and give yourself a pat on the back for getting one with a warranty.

Nothing else I can think of outside of a loose cable will cause that.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:43 AM
Civic2Scooby

have you tested your battery also...if your battery is starting to go it will put a very heavy strain on the alternator and your bat. light will come on...Also double check your belt tension, it sounds silly but if it got a lil loose somehow than it will be intermitten in its operation of the alternator when weather changes or it gets a bit wet from dew...etc.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:59 PM
B18 Black Widow

ive had one go on and off because of the modulater inside the alternator. and that made my light go on and off.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:29 PM
Highmile
VX Hatch with 431,500!

The battery was new this summer.

I drove to work and the O'rielly's is just accross the street. The batt light was on the whole way (thankfully I don't need headlights in the day). I called the parts store on the way to make sure they had the alt on the shelf (they did). I went in and told them I needed it checked. They have a tool to check it while it's in the car which is nice. So I got the younger guy, who I don't think is that bright, to check it out. He hooked it up and said my battery was low and needed charged. I said "No kidding, That's becasue I think the alternator is bad and not charging it." So I started the car so he could measure the alt. output. He said it was weak. COOL. I bought the new alt. and drove accross the street and had the new one in the car 15 min. later. I had no more batt light all day. Took the old alt back to get my $200 back from the warranty and I'm golden. I do need to check the water in the battery soon just to know.

Thanks for the extra input and knowledge guys.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:32 AM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by Highmile
The battery was new this summer.

I drove to work and the O'rielly's is just accross the street. The batt light was on the whole way (thankfully I don't need headlights in the day). I called the parts store on the way to make sure they had the alt on the shelf (they did). I went in and told them I needed it checked. They have a tool to check it while it's in the car which is nice. So I got the younger guy, who I don't think is that bright, to check it out. He hooked it up and said my battery was low and needed charged. I said "No kidding, That's becasue I think the alternator is bad and not charging it." So I started the car so he could measure the alt. output. He said it was weak. COOL. I bought the new alt. and drove accross the street and had the new one in the car 15 min. later. I had no more batt light all day. Took the old alt back to get my $200 back from the warranty and I'm golden. I do need to check the water in the battery soon just to know.

what the hell kind of battery do you have that you can check the water inside...most automotive batteries today are maintenence free

Thanks for the extra input and knowledge guys.
what the hell kind of battery do you have that you can check the water inside...most automotive batteries today are maintenence free
Old 11-26-2005, 10:05 PM
Highmile
VX Hatch with 431,500!

Originally Posted by Civic2Scooby
Most say that they are maintenence free but that is like saying you don't need an oil change for 7,500 or a 100,000 mile tune up. Most "maintenence free" batteries still have top caps that you can take off and check water levels. Usually there are two long top panels or some type of top that comes off. The battery that I have came from Autozone. The last time It went out on me, I took it back to have them replace it and I got a lecture about not checking the water at every oil change interval. I told them that the battery said it was maintenence free and that's when I got the story I just passed to you...:yes:
Old 11-26-2005, 10:06 PM
Highmile
VX Hatch with 431,500!

sorry for double post, my computer is messing with me.