Notices

questions on performance exhaust

Old 11-24-2005, 09:27 PM
blueshirt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions on performance exhaust

ok i just installed a performance exhaust. i noticed a lot of people have their performance muffler installed crooked or slanted. y do they do that?
and another question. do silencers affect horespower at all?
Old 11-25-2005, 06:13 AM
1995Civic
I hate ricers

Originally Posted by blueshirt
ok i just installed a performance exhaust. i noticed a lot of people have their performance muffler installed crooked or slanted. y do they do that?
and another question. do silencers affect horespower at all?
A lot of people have their mufflers slanted up and to the right or left just for the appearance. Its something different other than the common straight back exhaust you see everyday. As far as more power doing it this way?....No.

Your other question w/ the silencer I dont know for sure, but my guess would be not really. An exhaust gives you so little of a gain anyway, unless your boosted, I dont really think you could tell the difference. Not sure though, cause I dont have one.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:24 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Actually yes it does. I think Sport Compact Car did some testing with N1 exhausts and then with the silencer in. It was a difference of 5-9hp, but can you feel the difference? Probably not.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:47 AM
itotech

Some of the exhaust sys. come sideways from the manufacturer, mine does. I read some where that some silencers can affect horespower. My brother just got one for his del sol i believe is from apex or hks that is supposed to eleminate that problem.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:02 PM
1995Civic
I hate ricers

Originally Posted by CivicSiRacer
Actually yes it does. I think Sport Compact Car did some testing with N1 exhausts and then with the silencer in. It was a difference of 5-9hp, but can you feel the difference? Probably not.
Since when did exhaust give you that much to begin with, let alone that much of a difference, unless its turbo?? Oh well...
Old 11-25-2005, 07:22 PM
kmh_RED

well i added a high flow cat and exhaust to my civic 4dr and it improved it really good, you can tell the difference on how fast it gose now but thats what i can tell from it my parts are from ebay tho... cause im on a really low budget

Originally Posted by 1995Civic
Since when did exhaust give you that much to begin with, let alone that much of a difference, unless its turbo?? Oh well...
Old 11-25-2005, 08:03 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by kmh_RED
well i added a high flow cat and exhaust to my civic 4dr and it improved it really good, you can tell the difference on how fast it gose now but thats what i can tell from it my parts are from ebay tho... cause im on a really low budget
Probably more psychosomatic that anything else. When I added exhaust, it felt faster too, but only because it made more noise.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:08 PM
1995Civic
I hate ricers

Originally Posted by Däs Schmoo
Probably more psychosomatic that anything else. When I added exhaust, it felt faster too, but only because it made more noise.
:lmfao:

I have to agree.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:17 PM
blueshirt

i have a performance exhaust and a cold air intake installed. both from ebay. and it does FEEL faster... but i donno...
Old 11-26-2005, 07:31 AM
1995Civic
I hate ricers

Originally Posted by blueshirt
i have a performance exhaust and a cold air intake installed. both from ebay. and it does FEEL faster... but i donno...
It's really a mind game.

You get an intake and exhaust, and you think your car is gonna be faster w/ it. Really, it helps a little, but i dont believe enough to be able to tell. Like Schmoo said, its mainly because of the louder sound. Its just all in your head.