Notices

price for cv axle replacement

Old 11-23-2005, 01:03 PM
R_Squared
LEVEL UP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default price for cv axle replacement

What's a good price to have both cv axles on a '94 accord LX auto replaced? I have been getting prices of $450 and up. Do you think I could find somewhere cheaper? Thanks.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:22 PM
accordcivic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you go? Try the local junkyards. A reman. axle should be around $50 or a little more. So, for both, just over a hundred bucks. Unless your car is in exceptional shape and you're modding or you plain on selling down the road (and want as high resale value as possible), you don't have to pay such high prices. If the car is decent, I'd buy the reman. axle but would go for a bit more on the ball joints (i.e. buy the quality ones).

If you're talking about repair prices, did you buy the parts yet? If you get it done at a shop, buy those parts like I mentioned and bring them to the shop.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:02 PM
R_Squared
LEVEL UP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The shops I've been to say they can't honor the warranty when I bring in parts I have purchased on my own...Otherwise, yeah obviously it would be a lot cheaper to have it done.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:20 PM
jschmid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are on a budget, DIY. It's not bad, I'm no mechanic, and I've done axles on my wife's civic and a friends accord. $75 or so for each reman axles. Search on here, might find a decent writeup. Just basic tools, you'll need a large socket for the axle nut...I'm assuming 32mm, that's my wife's civic is. Accords are 36mm up front.