Notices

89 accord idle too high

Old 11-22-2005, 07:36 PM
swsupermini.com

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 accord idle too high

So its an 89 Acord DX. Carb not FI. Manual trans with AC.
_

Idle is high at 2500 RPM. I've found that after warm up its stays high. I can hook up my vacuum checker to the (for lack of better term) choke pull off and after putting vacuum on it the idle will come down. The line is hooked up but does not seem to have any vacuum coming from the engine. I''ve sprayed some carb cleaner on the vacuum lines and don't get a real perceptible change in idle so I'm thinking no vacuum leaks. The hoses are in good shape and I cannot find a broken one. I've tied the pull off out and the idle will settle down to under 1000.
I'm assuming the "choke pull off" is the doo dad that hose 18 and 26 plug in to. ON a chevy it would be called the pull off. can't find it in the chilton to know for sure what its called on a honda. so any idea's on where to go to get some vacuum?
also does anyone have a pdf of the vacuum hose diag? Its a b tch trying to look at the underside of the hood. thanks
Jason
Old 11-28-2005, 04:43 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How about this?

Go to Majestic Honda's site (hondaautomotiveparts.com) & put in your car's info. That's under "Tubing" but maybe there's other hoses in some of the other pictures.

Is your vacuum checker a gauge? What vacuum do you get from that line? Find a port directly on the manifold - is your manifold vacuum OK?
Old 11-28-2005, 05:52 AM
swsupermini.com

no it pulls a vacuum on the line. thats how i get the idle to drop but with the choke pull off disengaging the choke it does not idle at all. I have to keep the car idling. no vacuum on that line but i'll have to check the actual manifold vacuum.

that pic does not appear to be my carb. similar but many different connections. thanks for the link though.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:50 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sometimes they use the same picture for several different models. Go to the site & look at the actual parts list. Stuff that doesn't exist on your car might show up on the picture but not in the parts listing.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:40 AM
swsupermini.com

found a disconnected line and then adjusted the idle. it runs and idles fine once warm but very high idle when cold. looking for the cold idle adjustemnt. I found the adjustment on the drivers side but its already backed off all the way so its not touching. looks like a vacuum actuated valve is pulling the idle up when cold. anyone know how to adjust it?
Old 12-06-2005, 09:33 AM
ol_skool87

When starting up when idleing high after a little while when you give it gas does it lower the ldle range back down. Is it only when cold or does if also happen when it's already warm?
Old 12-06-2005, 09:42 AM
swsupermini.com

its only when its cold. after warm up if I bump the throttle the idle will fall in place under 1kRPM. I can drive all day without problems but after letting it cool down its back tot he high idle scenario.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:55 AM
qazxswed345

its idles high to let the engine warm up and unless im mistaken you cant adjust the cold idle speed because its controlled by a bimetal thermostat
but to drop it down after it starts lightly tap your accelerator
Old 12-06-2005, 10:44 AM
swsupermini.com

ok I was reading in the manual about a thermo valve...guess I can take a look at replacing that?
Old 12-06-2005, 11:59 AM
ol_skool87

That what all carbed 3geez do. Mine use to be carbed till i did a carb to efi swap. It's fine though.