Notices

Air filter

Old 11-22-2005, 05:57 AM
takume

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air filter

Alright, i don't have $$ to upgrade mine air box to a CAI. My question is if a buy a performance air filter (direct drop in one), does it make any different or i can just buy other OE approved filter. Thanks
Old 11-22-2005, 06:07 AM
flyromeo3

I have a K&N filter replacement and it feels a tad better.
Nothing that will cut my 1/4 time.
The only benefit is that I dont have to buy replacements. I could just clean this one.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:30 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
The only benefit is that I dont have to buy replacements. I could just clean this one.
I think that's the main benefit of any air filter mod. A short ram doesn't do much, a CAI isn't going to do much either.

The fact the mod pays for itself over time?
Old 11-22-2005, 08:45 AM
blacknight07601

Buy a cheap intake system (Cold air or Ram air) and replace the filter with a K&N filter
Old 11-23-2005, 10:02 AM
takume

i am thinking to buy a K&N direct drop in filter to replace the stock one.
but also thinking to get a CAI set off ebay. My question here is if it okay to use the ebay CAI on my car without changing the filter to some name brands( Such as K&N and AEM) filter? What will mostly happen? Will it screw up my engine or something real nasty will happen? Thanks in advanced
Old 11-23-2005, 10:16 AM
accordhybrid

If you can't afford an sri or a cai then get the kn drop in and remove the bottom half of your air box (that part in the bumper)
Old 11-23-2005, 10:17 AM
DarkSideAccord
Chidori-chan :love:

Originally Posted by takume
but also thinking to get a CAI set off ebay. My question here is if it okay to use the ebay CAI on my car without changing the filter to some name brands( Such as K&N and AEM) filter? What will mostly happen? Will it screw up my engine or something real nasty will happen? Thanks in advanced
u'll just lose power instead of gaining it.... and ur mpg would decrease as well... this is because generic filters do not perform as well as K&N filters... also, with CAIs, u wanna watch out for hydrolock (getting water into ur rngine)... best way to avoid this is to get a bypass-valve, which i have for sale
Old 11-23-2005, 10:20 AM
blacknight07601

Doubt if it will harm your engine. Just that the performance won't be that great with a cheap filter compared to a quality filter. If used for a long period of time though, small particles may get through the filter and even through the small screen filter in the throttle body. Then, you'll have a problem
Old 11-23-2005, 10:31 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

Originally Posted by takume
1. You need to make sure you don't have any C.A.R.B. laws in your state. AEM and Iceman are the only CARB exempt intakes that I know of. (there could be more)

2. If you live in a wet climate prone to bad weather, I'd suggest a CAI system with a bypass valve. Hydrolocking is very possible.

3. With any cone filter, inpsect it before you install it. If the filiment is loose, then it might break. If there are any cracks in the rubber connector, then it could break.

4. Brand name intakes usually have a decent support system on the intake. Ebay intakes hang off the throttle body ... not good.

don't go cheap, you get what you pay for. Saving $25 now might cost you $100's in repairs later.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:39 PM
takume

thanks, i think i will stay away from cheap stuffs. What is the bypass value btw? something to prevent a hydrolocking?