Notices

01 Accord stud replacement help

Old 11-19-2005, 03:34 PM
JonasG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Accord stud replacement help

I already posted this in the DIY forum, but figured I'd also crosspost here as it might get better exposure.

Alright folks, Im new here. I have an 01 Accord that i use as my daily driver. (I have 2 older BMW's that are my toys) Anyway, i was replacing the front brake pads today and SNAP, a stud snapped right off as i was trying to get one of the lugs off. SO, i went to the stealer today and bought the replacement lug and stud. Now in the world of BMW's we have screw in studs, but the Accord seems to use press in studs. So, i need a DIY guide on how to replace this stud. Any help is good help! Will I have to remove the bearing and everything to get at the back of the hub? Can i replace this thing while the hub is still on the car? Im gonna do it tomorow morning, so, the faster the replies the better! Thanks in advance everyone!

Cheers,
Jonas
Old 11-19-2005, 05:06 PM
RedThunder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as long as the stud will come out the back of the hub, you should be able to install the new one.

Use a hammer to drive out the broken one, slip the new one into the hole.

Using a sacrificial lug nut and several 1/2" washers, pull the new stud into the hub, an impact gun helps lots, no effort is required, when the back of the stud is against the hub, you're done. (sometimes the lug nuts are ruined when doing it this way)

As long as there is enough room to get it in there, worst case is pulling the spindle and having the hub pressed out of the bearing, the stud installed and a new bearing pressed into the spindle, and the hub pressed back into the bearing.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:02 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Often, pressing the hub out will destroy the wheel bearing. Not always, but I suppose you should be emotionally prepared for it.

Check around, spin the hub around. Some models/years there's a cut-out where you can fit the new stud. Just have to spin it to the proper position for it to have clearance.