Notices

Finnaly Full Booost!!!!

Old 11-19-2005, 02:02 PM
2gr84u
2gr84u

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finnaly Full Booost!!!!

well after about 4 months of endless leak testing and sealing, and more leaking testing, i have FINNALY got full boost. Turns out it was the wastegate not functioning properly and leaking boost that was the big issue. After reading through Homemadeturbo.com i found an interesting idea that i followed up on. It involved removing the wastegate and using a carberator spring from the wastegate arm and attaching to to the block or where ever gave decent tension. I installed the spring last night, sealed up the BOV a litte bit, and waited for my drive to work today to see how it would work. Well turns out it worked like a charm The best part is the spring opens at EXACTLY 10 psi, which is right where i wanted to be. Full boost feels amazing, and i cant wait to go get tuned now. Air fuel actually looks pretty good, but my timing is still really conservative. Ill be hoping to get to a dyno in the next few weeks and find out my numbers and get her running perfect
Old 11-19-2005, 02:21 PM
1995Civic
I hate ricers

Congrats on working it out! Way to show the noobs how to do some work on your own to figure shit out. Good luck bro.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:22 PM
2gr84u
2gr84u

Originally Posted by 1995Civic
Congrats on working it out! Way to show the noobs how to do some work on your own to figure shit out. Good luck bro.
yea all the searching and testing was totaly worth it when i felt that car pull at 10 psi. If go hard in 1st its total loss of traction lol
Old 11-19-2005, 02:25 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

WOO-HOO!!! Finally. Glad you got it sorted out, man!

Before you throw out the idea of using a wastegate actuator, remember that the spring gives slightly at lower boost pressures. You should try to get a replacement wastegate actuator that will keep the wastegate completely closed until your desired boost pressure is achieved. Your spool time will be a tad quicker like that. Test the wastegate actuator with a bicycle pump and see if it works before you throw it out.

Just cause of the honky that I am, here's the Mitsubishi part numbers for a new 14b wastegate actuator. You can order them from Rockville Mitsubishi cheaper than anyone else around, and you can find their info on-line at www.mitsupartsdirect.com. Sean, Will, and Mike are awesome, they've come through for me a million times getting weird or hard to get parts.

Attached Images
File Type: png
Picture 5.png (14.2 KB, 124 views)
File Type: png
Picture 6.png (5.4 KB, 123 views)
Old 11-19-2005, 02:26 PM
1995Civic
I hate ricers

Originally Posted by 2gr84u
yea all the searching and testing was totaly worth it when i felt that car pull at 10 psi. If go hard in 1st its total loss of traction lol
Yea i bet, i cant wait until im boosted. I still have some parts to gather and hopefully all goes well. I need to feel the rush of boost....
Old 11-19-2005, 02:29 PM
2gr84u
2gr84u

Originally Posted by Jafro
WOO-HOO!!! Finally. Glad you got it sorted out, man!

Before you throw out the idea of using a wastegate actuator, remember that the spring gives slightly at lower boost pressures. You should try to get a replacement wastegate actuator that will keep the wastegate completely closed until your desired boost pressure is achieved. Your spool time will be a tad quicker like that. Test the wastegate actuator with a bicycle pump and see if it works before you throw it out.

Just cause of the honky that I am, here's the Mitsubishi part numbers for a new 14b wastegate actuator. You can order them from Rockville Mitsubishi cheaper than anyone else around, and you can find their info on-line at www.mitsupartsdirect.com. Sean, Will, and Mike are awesome, they've come through for me a million times getting weird or hard to get parts.

probably not gonna bother with another internal gate. This spools really well as it is, and im planning on getting rid of the cat and picking up a 3in exhaust. When I get the new manifold it will be flanged for an external gate. For now though im a happy camper
Old 11-19-2005, 02:55 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Oh well. The info is there for anyone else that needs it. External gates are much more manageable, and you'll be way happier with a different manifold. The biggest problem with used turbos is that people usually remove them for a reason. I bet you've learned more about forced induction while troubleshooting this than you really wanted to.

Care to come down to Richmond Dragway next spring? Friday Night Street Shootout usually yields lots of passes for $15. I might have my Colt finished by then if I'm lucky.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:58 PM
2gr84u
2gr84u

Originally Posted by Jafro
Oh well. The info is there for anyone else that needs it. External gates are much more manageable, and you'll be way happier with a different manifold. The biggest problem with used turbos is that people usually remove them for a reason. I bet you've learned more about forced induction while troubleshooting this than you really wanted to.

Care to come down to Richmond Dragway next spring? Friday Night Street Shootout usually yields lots of passes for $15. I might have my Colt finished by then if I'm lucky.
Hell yea ill come down there, i cant wait to finnaly run this thing. Im kinda dissapointed that i fixed it like 2 weeks after all the tracks closed lol. But yea consider it done man, i cant wait to meet ya and shake your hand cuz youve been alot of help
Old 11-19-2005, 04:08 PM
Wharbone

Glad you got it figured out man!
Old 11-19-2005, 05:45 PM
2gr84u
2gr84u

Originally Posted by Wharbone
Glad you got it figured out man!
yea like jafro said, i learned alot through all of this so in that sence im kinda glad that it didnt work perfectly right away heh