Notices

90/91 Accord or 92 Maxima?

Old 11-19-2005, 06:28 AM
accordcivic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90/91 Accord or 92 Maxima?

I own a 90 Civic but I am thinking about getting a 90 or 91 Accord. The only other car I'm considering at the moment would be an early 90s Maxima. Probably a '92 or '93 Maxima.

Could anyone here give me their opinions? How do you like your Accord? (This is why I am posting in the Accord forum). I was wondering what might be differences between the different series and transmissions as well. Are the automatics less costly or likely to break down than the manuals or is there little difference? (A clutch/assembly seems to always be something that needs replacing). I was mostly looking for an EX or EXR series but the LX is still good, right? I want something under 300Kms. Even though it's still a Honda, I am trying to find something with reasonable mileage.

The early 90s Accords and Maximas around my area are still expensive but at the dealers, you can sometimes find them around a grand or just under two.

Is there anything to think about regarding 2 door coupe or 4 door sedan? I also consider the need for parts which I usually grab from a junkyard so I wonder whether there is any difference regarding which ones you find there. Lastly, is there anything in particular to look for? I had the idea to try and find something with as little rust as possible. It seems to be a good indication of how many problems you may have (in the future). Of course, you need to be aware of any leaks and engine condition as well.

Thanks in advance for all opinions and ideas.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:57 AM
Nirvanaspartan

i would go with the accord, especially with that year type because they are great cars motor transmission etc. and you still see a shit load around runing great everywhere(just not at the junk yard). I know my cousin is selling hers for just under $3000 clean interior, nice sony stereo system with the works 6x9 speakers , amp, 2 15'',$400 headunit and a nice custom security trunk
(came in handy once in a attempted brake in) lockdown..K&n intake,carbon fiber tail lights, optima batt new exhaust system opened up with new piping
2 1/4 thick running to the catbacks nice deep tone ., the car has everything replace once such as alternator,waterpump,etc.all the basics that need to be replaced.New michelin tires with 90% tread left on them Runs great 217k miles on it, has a little bit of flaws i seen a little rust on the rear wheel welds i guess its common for that year, rear dirvers window needs a new regulator, the body has a couple of dings from shopping carts ya
lol this is starting to sound like a ad sry bout that just get the accord its great for the long haul and everyday driving.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:50 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

It's a toss-up between the two. They're both great cars overall.

The Maxima's V6 will chug down more gas then an Accord, but it definately gives it a torquier feel.

Manual transmissions tend to last longer, and clutch lifespan depends purely on the driver. I've seen clutches worn out in 20k miles simply because the owner won't let off the pedal. My RX-7 has 170k+ on the original clutch, I believe my old Civic still had it's original at 185k miles.

Junkyard parts for the Maxima will be typically easier to find because they are in lower demand.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:56 AM
accordcivic

Yeah, I considered the fuel economy comparisons. I owned a V6 Tempo (recently sold it) but it was pretty good on gas considering it wasn't a 4.

The Maxima also has around 190 HP so it's nice to drive on the highway etc. The Accord has enough though which is why I want to get one instead of another Civic.

Honestly, I haven't had a car with stick yet so I was just curious whether there was anything to keep in mind when given a choice between manual and automatic. I don't do a lot of city driving during heavy traffic times in any large metro cities (so far) so after getting used to everything, I think it would just be a matter of maintenance.

That's an interesting point about Maxima parts at junkyards. I recently went to a local one that is a half hour away from the one in my city. The local one I usually go to rarely has early 90s Civics. There's a good chance they'll have an early 90s Accord, though. But, the one just a half hour away which has a slightly smaller yard had Civics galore. It's more organized, too, and I had some choice among various early 90s Civics. There were a lot of Accords, too. The strange thing, at least with the Civics, was most of them were white (I'm sure it's a common colour for Hondas/Civics!). Too bad my Civic is cappucino brown and I probably need a new hood. h:
Old 11-19-2005, 10:04 AM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

if you can get the one w/ the timing chain and not trhe one w/ the belt...it's all good.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:19 AM
Splatch
bad as hatch

accord is your choice
Old 11-20-2005, 10:56 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by Splatch
accord is your choice
Wow, now he HAS to buy and Accord based on that highly informed, unbiased post.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:07 AM
Nirvanaspartan

Originally Posted by Kai
makes sense even though it wasnt explain
Old 11-22-2005, 01:42 PM
accordcivic

LOL. Kai, you are awesome! Thanks for your replies to my posts. Actually, Hondas are a bit more available than the Maximas so Splatch's prediction (if that is what it was!) might actually come true. But, if I can find a Maxima when I'm ready to buy, then I have no qualms taking one. The Accord would be a little better on gas? Either one is good.

My Civic is losing its battle of being an economical 'point A-to-point B' car these days. So far, I've had to invest in a hood cable, the mechanic's repair ('didn't feel like trying the repair myself at this point - 'rather cold outside) and I've bought a ball joint (already had a boot) and now need to get a replacement axle (or two). Both sides were done last winter! Hmmmmmmm.... I need to find an Accord or Maxima soon?!? :thinking:
Old 01-22-2006, 09:39 PM
amominak

Did you buy the Accord??? My '91 Accord has 253,054 miles on it and still runs beautifully!