Notices

engine block crack

Old 11-18-2005, 12:54 PM
accordsir86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine block crack

what can cause a engine block to break or crack?
Old 11-18-2005, 03:46 PM
RedThunder

If you have an Accord with an F22 or F23
There have been some problems with the blocks cracking around the front mount bosses.
Two of our customer got free short blocks at over 75k when they started leaking oil and/or coolant. One a '97 the other a '95

Other reasons, severe overheating, impact damage, (either from inside or outside)
Improper installation of bolts in the block that bottom out or cross thread and are forced in.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:52 PM
accordsir86

i have a 1997 lx f22. its leaking coolant from the low block area i know cus i can see green fluid in some small parts of my engine by the left side of the engine right over the tranny. it runs down the side and leaks onto the ground. it seems to get faster when i just turn off the car.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:53 PM
accordsir86

also what kind of impact damage, u mean like a accident or something. it has 112k miles right now.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:42 AM
RedThunder

Impact damage, yes, accident, if the front beam was shoved backwards it can cause the mounting bosses to crack.
From inside, obviously, a rod coming thru the block.

From what you're describing where the leak is, it doesn't sound like a block problem. If it's above the trans and leaking onto it, it could be, a couple of things:

Pull the distributor look at the heater hose going into the head, it's VERY hard to see with the distributor in the car. It can only go in one way so dont worry about screwing up the timing too much.

Check the water outlet where the upper hose goes to the head, the o-ring gasket leaks sometimes there. check the small hoses that heat the pcv line while you're looking.
There is also a bypass hose coming out of the back of the cylinder head, just under the intake, check it.
Also look at the thermostat housing, they sometimes leak as well.

If all of those are dry, clean everything, fill the system and rent or borrow a cooling system pressure tester, put no more than 15 lbs in the system and carefully watch that area.

The only other things, which are rare is the headgasket leaking from the side onto the transmission or a cracked block up at the very top by the trans.

What trans, manual or auto and has it ever been out of the car?
Old 11-19-2005, 06:01 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

When I mentioned a cracked block in your other thread, that was an absolute worst-case-scenario thing, to prove the point we can't diagnose random leaks over the 'net without more info.