Notices

05 s2000 gear grinding noise/feeling

Old 11-18-2005, 04:44 AM
bongofernie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 s2000 gear grinding noise/feeling

I am feeling a small grinding when shifting from 1st to 2nd and sometimes 2nd to 3rd. Took car to Honda and they say it is normal but I know it is not because it is getting worse.
Is there a problem with the clutch on this car that I can look into?
Old 11-18-2005, 06:32 AM
RicoD
Pull my finger

the synchros? but thats really odd... ive never heard of this problem with the s2k before.... weird...
Old 11-18-2005, 12:49 PM
kd5dbl

Originally Posted by bongofernie
I am feeling a small grinding when shifting from 1st to 2nd and sometimes 2nd to 3rd. Took car to Honda and they say it is normal but I know it is not because it is getting worse.
Is there a problem with the clutch on this car that I can look into?
Yeah, I noticed the same thing on my '05... Seems to do it less once the car is warmed up.

I heard on the s2ki board that this will "go away" after few thousand miles... I'm probably going to hit the service dept soon and ask about it anyway.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:30 AM
evolution
早晨好, 先生們!™ 粉腸+ 春袋

When you do a 2-3 upshift, do you feel a chintsy nick in the gears?
Old 11-22-2005, 08:45 AM
kd5dbl

Originally Posted by evolution
When you do a 2-3 upshift, do you feel a chintsy nick in the gears?
Not for me... I only feel it for a 1->2 shift... downshifting from 2->1 is OK even...
Old 11-25-2005, 04:21 AM
pugboy

Hello all, I'm new here, I usually go on the UK part of the S2ki.com but thought I'd join here too.

Had my 2002 S2k about 8 months now and loved every minute.

Anyway, I've experienced this, what I'd describe as a 'snicking' type feeling on the upshifts from first to second gear, and more commonly and pronounced between second and third. It only occurs on upshifts and I have wondered myself if it's a problem. I raised it with the garage but they dismissed it as a characteristic.

Cheers

Chris
Old 11-25-2005, 10:41 AM
evolution
早晨好, 先生們!™ 粉腸+ 春袋

Originally Posted by pugboy
Hello all, I'm new here, I usually go on the UK part of the S2ki.com but thought I'd join here too.

Had my 2002 S2k about 8 months now and loved every minute.

Anyway, I've experienced this, what I'd describe as a 'snicking' type feeling on the upshifts from first to second gear, and more commonly and pronounced between second and third. It only occurs on upshifts and I have wondered myself if it's a problem. I raised it with the garage but they dismissed it as a characteristic.

Cheers

Chris
Welcome! I'm on S2ki too. A lot of owners discuss things here too.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:14 AM
skap1

yea i have actually experienced this problem as well on my 02 from 1st to 2nd. It is the synchros. But the thing is that i have heard this problem on only the AP1 (00-03)and not the AP2 (04+). On the AP1 this happens to a lot of us. They changed the type of material the synchros are made out of in the AP2. I have taken it back to honda 3 times and they couldnt find anything wrong with it (since they couldnt duplicate the grind). They finally told me that they would take apart the tranny and check for me but if they couldnt find anything wrong they would charge me labor fees ($500+). So i am still debating if i want to do that. (bought extended warrenty until 100K)
Old 02-28-2006, 12:12 PM
zexkid37

I have this problem also mostly in 1st to 2nd but when the car is not up to operating temp it does it from 2nd to 3rd. What can ya really do?
Old 02-28-2006, 02:01 PM
killers2k

hey i have the same thing on my car but mine the noise goes away when it warms up a bit also i has to do on how u use ur clutch it will grind less if u give a a lil bit of time before u switch gears in other words hold ur clutch a lil longer before u shift also dont push ur clutch all the way in most catch half way in. im wondering how long have u been drivin it is it just a recent thing?