Notices

heater fan vibrating, noise, smell, you name it

Old 11-16-2005, 02:32 PM
meitzner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heater fan vibrating, noise, smell, you name it

97 civic lx. driving home today, i turned on the defroster and noticed a noise in the vents, sounded like someone sticking a playing card into a fan, turned the fan off, then on again and up to level 4. noise changed to more of a vibrating drum, and on level 3 or 4 notice a definite vibration going on. I think i noticed a smell as well, like musty funk, but it was pretty humid today so don't know if that was anything. Any ideas? I don't see how anything could have gotten down in the fan, or know why it would come loose or anything now, all of a sudden. I'm stumped.

thanks
Old 11-16-2005, 03:05 PM
bambbrose

a rodent lol. I've seen it happen.

Something definately has made its way down there.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:46 PM
siletsting1

I have 96 lx and it has the same funky musty smell. i have looked it all over. there's no way that both of us have had something crawl down into the fan. would like to know how you clean the smell out.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:38 PM
bambbrose

only way is to remove the heater core and blower motor and inspect.

Pull the dash, and the unbolt it from the interior firewall, and also the one nut on the engine firewall, and then once you have it off you can inspect it and see whats inside
Old 03-29-2006, 03:35 PM
meitzner

Default poor mouse

As unlikely as it seems, I have to report that a mouse found his way into the squirrel cage fan and met his demise. Nasty to think I was smelling mouse carcass, but at least it's out now. I bleached the hell out of everything I could get my hands to - so hopefully it's disinfected.