Notices

Question 96 Civic Ex

Old 11-16-2005, 06:01 AM
Urbanpeasant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question 96 Civic Ex

Hello all,

my civic will not start. the engine is turnig over but not starting. i changed the spark plugs because this has worked before, but still nothing. i'm not sure but i think it may be the fuel pump, any suggestions or other areas i should consider? thanks for your help! Oh by the way i do have gas in there.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:42 PM
1995Civic
I hate ricers

Two things that will make the car start. Fuel and Spark...cant have one or the other, must have both.

Since you've already done spark plugs, you have a few more areas to check around to see if you are getting spark. You should change your wires, dizzy cap, rotor, COIL. 90% of the time ppl dont get spark is because of the coil. In a worst case scenario, your whole distributor is bad....not likely though.

When checking for fuel, make sure your fuel filter is good, fuel pump, main relay is working, all fuses. Also, make sure your injectors are not clogged, and seals are all good. Others will fill in, Im tired.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:40 AM
mini-me civic

try turinig ur key to on and listen for a buzzin sound coming from the fuel tank... if u hear it ur pump should be workin...
Old 11-20-2005, 05:52 AM
Wharbone

Do this:

1. Turn key to the on position.
2a. At this point, your Check Engine Light (CEL) should come on for about 2 seconds and go off. Does this happen? If your CEL stays on, you need to check the code and it will direct you to the problem. Check the sticky at the top of this forum to find out how. If your CEL goes off after 2 seconds, you don't have a problem that the ECU is detecting.
2b. At this point (after turning the key to the on position), you should also hear your fuel pump prime itself. It will make a sound under your rear seat. Can you hear it? If you can't, there's a good chance it's your main relay.

If everything above happens like it should, there is a good chance it's your coil. It could possibly be your distributor also, but this is less likely.

Check for spark so you know if you aren't getting spark or fuel.