Notices

Help needed...power steering question

Old 11-15-2005, 09:28 PM
A_Mac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed...power steering question

I recently purchased a del sol and I'm not too familiar with it yet. I noticed the power steering fluid is really dark and my mechanic will flush it for me but its gonna cost a fortune! What is the process of flushing the power steering system? Is there anyway I can do this by myself?? Is it even necessary to do if I'm not having any problems with it yet?
Old 11-15-2005, 10:54 PM
CaliDELSOL93si

if you just purchased the car, it is always good to check the brakes, all fluids, belts, hoses, etc... (usually you should try and check before you purchase the car but since you all ready have, forget it)

I would suggest changing all fluids and maybe giving it a tune-up, this way you become familiar with YOUR car and know when everything has been done and keep track of when things need to be done. Not having any problems with it "YET" is the key. Just because you aren't having problems with it now doesn't mean they won't pop up sometime in the near future.

my suggestion, change all fluids, oil, coolant, powersteering, transmission, etc...
Old 11-16-2005, 06:55 AM
A_Mac

I have already had the whole car checked up...and I've had the brake fluid and oil changed as well. I was just wondering if there was a way that I'd be able to change the power steering fluid myself...if its dark does it need to be flushed? I'm just trying to avoid taking it to the mechanic for things that I can possibly do myself
Old 11-16-2005, 08:11 AM
CaliDELSOL93si

just like the brakes, the power steering is going to have to be bled to get all the air bubbles out. that is about all my knowledge when it comes to power steering. i have it taken out of most of my cars and just stick to power assist.