Notices

Understeer?

Old 11-14-2005, 06:25 PM
InfiniteVTec
The Dealer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Understeer?

Hmm recently on a on turn at 70mph on the highway my car felt like it wasn't wanting to turn right, it left like my car was being pulled left even while the wheels were facing the direction i was trying to turn. Is that understeer or just my imagination? I'm using Toyo Proxy's on a stock suspension.

If that's understeer, then what suspension upgrades would be best to reduce this occurrence?
Old 11-14-2005, 09:02 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

It is understeer. Probably not a good idea to be taking turns at 70 mph on stock suspension.

To reduce understeer, a stiffer set of springs should be run along with a thicker swaybar.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:26 PM
Outxider
X-Motoring

stiffer springs/coilovers + korbach framelocks = end of understeer. works for me. but yeah just go with a stiffer suspension setup and rear sway bar for the win. i personally dont have a rear sway yet the car feels very neutral.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:22 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by Outxider
stiffer springs/coilovers + korbach framelocks = end of understeer. works for me. but yeah just go with a stiffer suspension setup and rear sway bar for the win. i personally dont have a rear sway yet the car feels very neutral.
I have the Comptech combo on mine and the difference is night and day. It makes up for the not-so-stiff springs I have on. Personally, I think the rear sway bar is the best suspension mod I have done thus far.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:06 AM
Mr_Goodbar

Originally Posted by Outxider
stiffer springs/coilovers + korbach framelocks = end of understeer.
YES. I've got the Tein Flex, Korbach Framelocks, ASR rear subframe brace w/26mm ITR bar, and it's like night and day ON STOCK F***ING TIRES. I cant wait to see how its gonna handle with some 7 inch wide wheels and tires. MMMMMMMMMMMM.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:26 AM
InfiniteVTec
The Dealer

How about Shocks and Struts? If I was to get adjustable ones, how should I adjust them to make my car's handling neutral?

I'll give the Korbach Framelocks a try. I've never seen nor heard of them til you guys mentioned them.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:40 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Actually to reduce understeer just drive slower - duh! If you upgrade the suspension and try to drive that section again you will probably kill yourself because the car will oversteer you off a cliff.

I recommend something even cheaper than a suspension upgrade. Go take an autocross school or Evolution School (http://www.autocross.com/evolution) - they will teach you how to drive your car.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:07 AM
5speedonly

"Actually to reduce understeer just drive slower - duh! If you upgrade the suspension and try to drive that section again you will probably kill yourself because the car will oversteer you off a cliff"

He said he was doing 70 mph on the FREEWAY!!! He should be able to negotiate any turn easily at that speed. I have managed to take the entire course of most freeways(south. CA) at speed exceeding the hundred mark, including sharp turns/curves. Sometimes I like to test the capabilities of the car. I have noticed, however, that the Civic (mine EX) are not particuliary good in negotiating turns.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:42 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Highway could mean 45-55mph. Which would mean he could be going 15-25mph over the limit. Which is why there are speed limits for some corners.

I have noticed, however, that the Civic (mine EX) are not particuliary good in negotiating turns.
Well yeah it's a Civic - econobox. Which is why I recommend the autocross schools because it will teach you how to corner and take better lines
Old 11-15-2005, 08:57 AM
5speedonly

Originally Posted by CivicSiRacer
Highway could mean 45-55mph. Which would mean he could be going 15-25mph over the limit. Which is why there are speed limits for some corners.

Well yeah it's a Civic - econobox. Which is why I recommend the autocross schools because it will teach you how to corner and take better lines
What I meant is, in the same genre(compact cars) or "econobox" as you put it, the Civic scores low when it comes to negotiating turns, even at a moderate speed; the car tends to swing a little.