Notices

Can I put an O2 sensor from a 94 EX in a 99 EX?

Old 11-13-2005, 06:52 AM
mug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I put an O2 sensor from a 94 EX in a 99 EX?

Aren’t all O2 Sensors the same? I recently put my DC Sports header that was purchased for my 94 EX in my 99 EX. I made one attempt to remove the O2 sensor from the DC Header but it was in there good. So I left it in. I used the extension that came with the header to see if the connector was the same. It was however, Honda decided to switch the plugs on the sensors (and appropriately on the car) between those years some time and I didn't notice until I had it completly installed.

Since I had the header in place, I decided to swap the plugs. After about twenty minuets, the Check Engine Light comes on. I reset the ECU, and twenty minuets later, CEL again.

Any ideas?
Old 11-13-2005, 06:59 AM
'98 EX RED
King of the Auto Civic

find out what the cel is, first. I had a similar issue, ie, i extended the wires from the o2 to the plug, but I have an on and off CEL reading "o2 sensor slow responce."
Old 11-13-2005, 07:30 AM
mug

I pulled a 61:

Oxygen Sensor, Heated - Sensor 1 (Primary) high voltage, low voltage, or slow response

How do I fix this? Could this mean the O2 won't work on this car? Same number of wires and same wire colors.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:32 PM
mug

Default Yes!

Ok, I found out what the problem was. I noticed that when I soldered the wires together, the wire wasn’t absorbing the solder. My iron is wearing out and not getting hot enough. I took the tape off the wire and the connection fell apart. I drove the car four times now with no CEL.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:33 PM
mug

Well, I was wrong. My CEL came on within five minutes of leaving my house today. I guess I’m pulling it after all. I hate this. The sensors look the same but it doesn't work.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:16 PM
Highmile
VX Hatch with 431,500!

Not all O2 sensors are the same, not even close. I won't do all the research for you but here are a few links....Ok I did some research. Looks like the '94 uses one sensor (ODB1). And the '99 uses 2, one before the cat and one after (ODB2). None of the 3 sensors are the same. Here is a link. I doubt this is the best place to buy a sensor, but I use this site for research like this....be ready to spend some dough$. If you need more help, PM me and I'll see what I can do to help.

http://www.drivewire.com/hondaparts/...gensensor.html
Old 11-16-2005, 04:56 AM
'98 EX RED
King of the Auto Civic

On this subject, I have no idea where the second o2 sensor is on my car?? Supposedly behind the cat, but im not aware of one anywhere within a couple feet after that conveter. Its a 98 civic ex, incase anyone has any info/