Notices

exhaust: name brand vs generic

Old 11-11-2005, 10:55 AM
Ctrld-Kaos
i need a wrench wench

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust: name brand vs generic

how much of a difference is there between getting a name brand exhaust ie,, hayame, greddy, hks.. and going to you local shop and having them throw on a maganaflow? i really can't see spending 300 to 500 bucks for some piping and a fart can, when i can give a local shop my spec's and have them make one for 200 to 250...

-The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:14 AM
1995Civic
I hate ricers

You cant see spending 300-500 on good quality exhaust, but you CAN see spending 200-250 on magnaflow? You will learn that you get what you pay for. However, there is nothing wrong with custom exhaust w/ whatever muffler you want. A big thing you have to specify, is exhaust shops will crush-bend the piping, but you want MANDREL-bent piping.

Another thing, sounds vary from exhaust to exhaust. Do some research on what ones fit your style.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:05 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Not much of a difference. Sometimes you get what you pay for when it comes to aftermarket car parts.

And please shrink your signature. It's too large.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:36 PM
Outxider
X-Motoring

well i used to have a custom 2.25 crush bent piping with 18in resonator and fireball muffler. it was kewl, sound was nice and deep and i spent a total of 200 bukks for it. i saved up and got a greddy sp2 catback, big difference in terms of performance. the mandrel pipin was a big step up, sound was quieter and fitment was right on the dot.

like everyone said, u get what you paid for, and i did lots of research before goin with the sp2. if the shop can do mandrel piping with a good quality muffler and resonator, then ur good to go.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:53 PM
Ctrld-Kaos
i need a wrench wench

I was actually planning on having the shop do mandrel bends, i am aware that crushed bends restrict exhaust flow. Im looking for a lower quiet sound, not the ricer fart can sound. I would pickup an rs-r exhaust if it wasnt for the 450 price tag... i guess the question i should have asked is it possible to get a custom exhaust with the same performance gains?
Old 11-11-2005, 01:07 PM
extensioncordy
EG6

i have a 2 1/2 mandrel bent custom exhaust...with a high flow cat and a fart can...its loud really loud....just today i purchased a new muffler off ebay with a silencer...to queit things down but i like it...and i dont think i would spend 500 on an exhaust either
Old 11-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

My 3" Apexi turbo-back was 800 bux on sale. I have never had the opportunity to bolt any other "kit" onto a car that could be as easy to install, as complete, and fit as good as that exhaust. Putting 3" pipes under a AWD DSM is a squeeze, and it really is amazing how perfect it fit. I had to chop/hack/weld/grind/cut/drill/move everything else I installed on the car.

I was quoted $470 installed to do 2.5" pipes, crush-bent aluminized steel with a resonator, muffler, hangers and a flex section... at a shop where I knew the head mechanic. I bought a complete OEM spec double-walled DX exhaust with cat, maniffold-back, with gaskets fastenbers and everything, made by Walker for my CX... which was still an upgrade because the B pipe is 1/2" bigger... for $340 new.

Most of the time, those roadside muffler shops are no bargain. Don't forget your labor costs. If they don't do the install, I guarantee you it won't fit. Edit: Yes, you could buy straight stock, mandrel bends, and weld it yourself a leak-proof exhaust for about half of that, but BYO welder and skillz if you think you've got 'em.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:34 PM
Ctrld-Kaos
i need a wrench wench

Yes, you could buy straight stock, mandrel bends, and weld it yourself a leak-proof exhaust for about half of that, but BYO welder and skillz if you think you've got 'em.
I used to work in a machine shop and also did welding for a living but, i got sick of getting constant headaches from spot flash. Im still planning on going with the hayame gen 2 exhaust but, i just wanted to get some opinions on going the custom route..
Old 11-11-2005, 02:57 PM
JoePoonani
Lexus Tech y0!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got a magnaflow catback on my teg. i love it, its just a little too loud for my tastes thats why im getting rid of it soon.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:43 PM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

I got a 150$ tsudo N1 and I love it. It sounds just like the Apexi.