Notices

2000 Accord burning oil???

Old 02-12-2006, 12:41 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by humblehyper
If I dont change the oil, but the time it reaches the 3k miles, it will be below the lower mark. Is it safe to just add more oil when it reaches the lower mark even if its more than 3k miles? When should I change the oil? 5000k? 7000k? I live in Walnut CA and what's a good brad of oil that burns less? All I remember was the dealer used a synthetic blend oil (is this the fully synthetic blend?), if this is fully synthetic, can I add a regular oil? Or use the same blend (fully synthetic)?
There is no 'good brand of oil that burns less'. You have to play with it and see, but if you go to synthetic don't go back to dino oil. There's nothing wrong with adding oil, that's what you're supposed to do when it gets low. I personally use Mobil1 5W-30 fully synthetic. I used to burn about a quart every 1.5-2k miles with dino oil and a quart every 3k miles with Castrol Syntec. Now I'm down to a quart every 4k or 5k miles. You should be changing dino oil at least every 4-5k (conservatively) and a high quality synthetic at least every 7-8k (but they can last 15k miles, i just don't trust it for that long).

All dino oils are similiar and all fully synthetic and mixed oils are similiar...I like Mobil1 because it looks better coming out of the engine every 8 or 9k miles than the Castrol did and it burns less, indicating that it's a bit thicker and protects better.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:02 PM
humblehyper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is "dino oil" Thanks much.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:10 PM
skabone69

What is "dino oil" Thanks much.
conventional oil, or non synthetic.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:56 AM
humblehyper

I just poured 1 quart of oil in my car, and the oil dip stick now reads 2mm above the upper mark. Is this too much? Thanks. Sorry for being so dumb, this is my first car
Old 02-13-2006, 09:08 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

I just poured 1 quart of oil in my car, and the oil dip stick now reads 2mm above the upper mark. Is this too much? Thanks. Sorry for being so dumb, this is my first car
Overfilling is dangerous, as volume and pressure are directly related. Next time go slower. It probably won't hurt anything if you overfill just a little.

To properly check the level the car should be warmed (cooling fan comes on at least twice) and then shut off. Allow 5 mins or so for oil to drain back into the pan. Are you doing this?
Old 02-13-2006, 10:27 AM
humblehyper

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
Overfilling is dangerous, as volume and pressure are directly related. Next time go slower. It probably won't hurt anything if you overfill just a little.

To properly check the level the car should be warmed (cooling fan comes on at least twice) and then shut off. Allow 5 mins or so for oil to drain back into the pan. Are you doing this?
I only check them in the morning when its park overnight in the garage. So what you're saying is, I should start the engine and let the cooling fan start and shut off and then wait for 5 mins before I check the oil? Is this the proper way?
Old 02-13-2006, 10:42 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

I only check them in the morning when its park overnight in the garage. So what you're saying is, I should start the engine and let the cooling fan start and shut off and then wait for 5 mins before I check the oil? Is this the proper way?
Yes that's what I said. Checking it in the cold will give you an inaccurate reading, plus all of the oil (except for a fine film) will have come off of the upper parts of the engine.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:48 AM
humblehyper

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
Yes that's what I said. Checking it in the cold will give you an inaccurate reading, plus all of the oil (except for a fine film) will have come off of the upper parts of the engine.
OK thanks so much.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:12 AM
SoundMan111

Default My Wife's 2000 Accord Burns Oil Also

Originally Posted by Madmaz27
I have been having an on-going issue with my car burning oil. Have others come across this as well?
A month and a half after she purchased the car, it was down 4 quarts. Good thing I caught it!!!!!! We have had the dealer track the oil consumption. The original dealer says that is normal. My response was that I had not fallen off the turnip truck yesterday!?!?!?! We then had the local honda dealer track the oil consumption to document the problem. My wife also purchased the extended warranty. As a side note, it turns out that the warranty does not cover replacement of piston rings.

The mechanic at the honda dealer noticed the PCV valve was an after-market replacement. So, he installed a honda part. He stated that he has seen a half of a dozen hondas burn oil when an aftermarket PCV value is installed. Unfortunately, this did not remedy the problem.

We have had a compression test. It showed the cylinder compression of each piston to be within specs. and all four compression readings were within 5% of each other.

One other note. With the catalytic converters, you will not see smoke coming from the tailpipe. The CC scrubs the oil out of the exhaust. However, eventually, you will be replacing the CC because it will plug up.

SO, the saga continues............
Old 02-14-2006, 05:14 AM
AcuraFanatic

For all of those who are burning oil, what grade of oil are you running?