Notices

2000 Accord burning oil???

Old 11-10-2005, 07:36 AM
Madmaz27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Accord burning oil???

I have been having an on-going issue with my car burning oil. Have others come across this as well?
Old 11-10-2005, 10:09 AM
lenny_vp

Have you gottem an oil tank flush? I'm not sure if thats the correct way in which it is called... but when you go to change your oil (autoshop or whereever) most of thewm offer it... it cost like $60 dolars I believe. When I bought my 96 accord I went to get an oil change and they told me that the oil tank was so dirty that if they put new oil it was going to be no use because it was going to get black and eventually the car was going to burn it. So I did that and I noticed that the car was giving me better MpG. So I don't know if thats the solution for your problem.. but you might want to try it anywayz. Peace
Old 11-10-2005, 11:04 AM
Thooks
President-2008

"Burning oil"

What are the symptoms? Smoke out the tailpipe?

Oil Consumption? This is tricky to correctly diagnose because you might be checking it 10 minutes after shut down one time and over night the next. Check it consistently and scribe a line on the dipstick after 3 consistent readings.

If it is smoking, the valve seals might be leaking. Or other more severe problems.

Some shadetree mechanics will pour 1/2 bottle of brake fluid in the oil to swell the valve seals.

If you are interested in "flushing the engine", I have used Marvel Mystery Oil and still do. You need to substitute a quart or 3/4 of a quart of this for engine oil. Run this about 500-1000 miles and change it again. Go another 1500-2000 miles and change it again.

Should see a marked difference in oil color after that. Should also see 2+ MPG increase.

But...an engine flush is probably not gonna cure a oil burning problem or smoking problem. It doesn't hurt to try.

What is the maintenance history?
Old 11-10-2005, 11:10 AM
Madmaz27

no smoke, but this morning my oil light started to blink. I put in a quart and it stopped blinking. But i have noticed that it does lose oil. I checked a month after geting an oil change adn it was down a quart.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:09 PM
JL95AccorD

have you checked if maybe you just have an oil leak somewhere as opposed to burning the oil.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:15 PM
Madmaz27

c'mon dont you think that would be the first thing i check
Old 11-11-2005, 05:22 AM
Thooks
President-2008

If it's burning a quart a month and you don't have any leaks, it should be smoking like a skeeter truck.

Something's wrong.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:26 AM
humblehyper

My 2000 Honda Accord LX still has 1000 miles to reach its 3000 miles oil change limit, but when I check my oil dip stick it now only has 2mm above the lower mark. Am I burning too much oil? Is this normal? Thanks guys.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:55 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by humblehyper
My 2000 Honda Accord LX still has 1000 miles to reach its 3000 miles oil change limit, but when I check my oil dip stick it now only has 2mm above the lower mark. Am I burning too much oil? Is this normal? Thanks guys.
It depends on too many variables to be normal or not normal. It's just the way your engine is, either due to not being taken care of very well, from being improperly broken in, or just from improper manufacturing tolerances. If you want to burn less, switch to a higher viscosity oil or same viscosity synthetic oil.

And you're wasting money changing your oil every 3k miles.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:11 AM
humblehyper

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
It depends on too many variables to be normal or not normal. It's just the way your engine is, either due to not being taken care of very well, from being improperly broken in, or just from improper manufacturing tolerances. If you want to burn less, switch to a higher viscosity oil or same viscosity synthetic oil.

And you're wasting money changing your oil every 3k miles.
If I dont change the oil, but the time it reaches the 3k miles, it will be below the lower mark. Is it safe to just add more oil when it reaches the lower mark even if its more than 3k miles? When should I change the oil? 5000k? 7000k? I live in Walnut CA and what's a good brad of oil that burns less? All I remember was the dealer used a synthetic blend oil (is this the fully synthetic blend?), if this is fully synthetic, can I add a regular oil? Or use the same blend (fully synthetic)?