Notices

'95 Accord "US" Wagon - Suspect rear balance shaft adrift...

Old 01-18-2012, 06:04 PM
HOTPIG175

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 Accord "US" Wagon - Suspect rear balance shaft adrift...

Hi,

I own one of these mighty machines, fitted with an F22A and an auto trans, which is a second-hand ****** import.

Runs fine, but there is a growling noise emanating from somewhere in the engine.

I suspected the alternator bearings where to blame, but when the alternator finally snuffed it and was replaced by a brand new unit, the noise remained.

Also, just as I finished refitting the alternator drive belt, I noticed what I really didn't want to see - it seems that the drive sprocket/pulley for the rear balancer has bored it's way through the cam belt cover.

I was unimpressed by this development, as can probably be imagined, but have stopped using the vehicle, and am now reliant upon a hideous Ford Laser to get around in.

At the end of the day, my question is,: short of having to strip everything down, including the drama of trying to loosen the crank pulley bolt, is there a chance that I could use the locating hole that's meant to be used to align the rear balance shaft to establish whether or not the shaft is about to part company with the rest of the engine, or is it more likely that the whole balance shaft drive gear thingy is falling off?

Any suggestions that don't involve matches, lighters or dropping 16 ton weights on it would be much appreciated, as I'm quite fond of the old beast, and would like to keep it running.

Cheers, people.