Notices

sudden strong smell of gas inside car, engine stalled a couple times..

Old 11-10-2005, 02:44 AM
dE.fUsEd
I still like honda's. :-/

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sudden strong smell of gas inside car, engine stalled a couple times..

94 civic cx, stock...150k.

started a couple days ago. first the car jus died when trying to back up. wouldn't stay running for like 5 minutes...then started and ran fine.

the next week, it died on the highway for about a minute, then finally started back up and got me home..

ideas? h:
Old 11-10-2005, 03:19 AM
extensioncordy
EG6

have you checked for a gas leak??? if sp how bad is it leaking it may be a line thats broke and when its stalling its starving for fuel...but im not sure more info please
Old 11-10-2005, 05:21 AM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Check to see if you have vacuum pressure in your gas tank when you pop the gas cap. If your fuel system is working correctly and has no leaks, it will do the suction thing when you pop the cap.

If you can't find the leak, take it to a mechanic. They'll have better tools than you do for locating it.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:32 PM
dE.fUsEd

no pressure from gas cap. can't smell it if i keep the windows up. As soon as i crack the window, the odor is strong. when tank is below 1/4, the smell is very faint.

i recently put an amp in the back and drilled in into the spare tire floor....but i was really careful when i was drilling, and i can't smell the gas anywhere around that area. :thinking:
Old 11-16-2005, 10:44 PM
bambbrose

is their any way gas can get into the charcoal canister?? I swear I've heard of them filling up and causing issues or something
Old 11-17-2005, 05:15 AM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Originally Posted by bambbrose
is their any way gas can get into the charcoal canister?? I swear I've heard of them filling up and causing issues or something
Yes. If there is an evaporative emissions failure or a fuel leak, then the charcoal canister will malfunction. Your best bet is to trace the vacuum hoses based on your under-hood emissions diagram and ensure that everything's hooked up properly with no broken lines. Make sure your evaporative purge solenoid is working (usually it would throw a check engine light if it's having electrical issues) because it's what actually creates the vacuum in your gas tank. ...and although you may have been careful with the drill, how long are the screws you used? You wouldn't smell gas inside the car once the amp is in place and screws filling the holes.

If you can't find it, take it to a shop to get it fixed because it's dangerous.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:25 PM
dE.fUsEd

Originally Posted by Jafro
Yes. If there is an evaporative emissions failure or a fuel leak, then the charcoal canister will malfunction. Your best bet is to trace the vacuum hoses based on your under-hood emissions diagram and ensure that everything's hooked up properly with no broken lines. Make sure your evaporative purge solenoid is working (usually it would throw a check engine light if it's having electrical issues) because it's what actually creates the vacuum in your gas tank. ...and although you may have been careful with the drill, how long are the screws you used? You wouldn't smell gas inside the car once the amp is in place and screws filling the holes.

If you can't find it, take it to a shop to get it fixed because it's dangerous.
the screws i'm using are not very long. i will check out the evap shit is all intact, and search around this weekend. if no luck, i'll take it in. :happysad:
Old 11-17-2005, 08:45 PM
Wharbone

Hope you don't smoke while driving... Boom!
Old 11-18-2005, 01:14 AM
Highmile
VX Hatch with 431,500!

Originally Posted by Wharbone
Cheech and Chong style. "be cool man, be cool"
Old 11-18-2005, 06:25 PM
dE.fUsEd

Originally Posted by Wharbone
i do actually. h:

it's kinda scary..