Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

wear on the car

Old 09-10-2002, 09:04 PM
frank
frank from canada

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wear on the car

for all your autocrossers, how much wear does this put on your car and what needs to be repaired / replaced quicker and such. i'm thinking transmission due to hard reving and stopping? shocks?

just interested and maybe joining the autoX
Old 09-11-2002, 01:02 AM
jc836

Great Q. Actually the suspension and tires are the parts you need to look at a lot. You also need to keep track of the clutch. Suspension parts can include the bushings and links (sway bar) and the alignment. You also want to service the CV joints carefully. How often these need to be done depends on the number of times your run and whether the car is also a daily driver.
It should be obvious that updated brake pads and (if drums-rear shoes) are a wise investment.
There is one thing that is overlooked by many-fluid flushing. Make sure that the brake fluid is fresh at the beginning of the season along with the tranny, PS, and maybe the anti-freeze. Personally I use genuine Honda fluids. You can use any of the others such as Motul and Performance Friction DOT3 fluids as they are a higher boiling point and compatible with Honda seals-just fully flush with the new. Brake pads can come from a number of sources: Honda-search for the same shape pad from a heavier car (there is more than one for several models as well); Performance Friction has an excellent product as does Hawk; I like the AEM Nissin pads for daily and track days-Nissin is actually the manufacturer for Honda.
Last-make sure the powertrain is in great shape and that the engine has been tuned up (includes valve adjustment).
Old 09-11-2002, 02:38 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

So far the only things I have replaced on my car since it was new: brake pads, brake rotors, tires, shocks (wanted newer ones), and a lug nut or two here and there. The usual wear-n-tear items you would see on the street, just at an accelerated rate. My car had 80 miles new and now has 40,500.

Realistically autocrossing is easier on your car than drag racing. You really are not doing high rpm drops like drag racing. I rev to about 3000-4000 and feather the clutch to go.