Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Repainting a small portion of my hood (Integra)

Old 09-09-2005, 10:33 PM
Chizzy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repainting a small portion of my hood (Integra)

Ok so there is a point where the paint is peeling away so I'm planning on sanding it down maybe about 6cm by 12cm, then taping off everything around it and spraying the paint over...then clearcoat.

The thing that I'm worried about is that the paint is going to be uneven with the rest of bumper(different contour) and you're going to be able to see where I painted it.

So...what is the best way to go about sanding it and where do I apply the tape. Should I do some really light sanding just a bit past the 6x12 rectangle so the paint will have some groves to go into and won't be as uneven.

Is there any contraption you can get to reduce the amount of paint comes out of an aerosol spray can so I can be precise?
Old 09-10-2005, 05:07 AM
delsol161

what you're donig is common. it's known as a "blend".

don't tape anything off (except for your windows & such). this will cause a line wherever the paint stops against the tape. your best bet is to wetsand the peeling paint off with 800 grit wet/dry paper. once the peeling stuff is off, use 1000 grit wet/dry to wetsand it again (removes the 800 grit scratches). wetsand about 5-6 inches past the original area... to give the paint somethnig to bite into when it's sprayed. now, you can choose to either wetsand with the next highest grit sand paper, or jump to the paint.

lay the paint down in light "dry" coats. take it about 6 inches out from the edge of what you're trying to blend. this blends it to make it match w/ the stock paint. don't spray the paint super think, or wet. covering with with more, light coats works better than a couple heavy coats. if it comes out smooth & clean, you can go ahead and spray the clear.

allow your paint to "flash", or set up slightly. to know when it has flashed, watch it closely. you will see the paint lose it's shine, it will appear dull (if you sprayed it right). it's a good thnig now, once it has flashed, you can begine to spray the clear. lay the clear down wet, and a couple inches past where you stoped spraying the black. allow the clear to dry over night.

now, you can either leave it alone, or you can perform one more step. i suggest wetsanding it everything around where you painted very lightly with 1500 grit wet/dry. this will do two things. #1, it will remove any overspray from painting, and #2, it will help remove any "orange-peel" you might have. once that is done, fire up a buffer, use a heavy-duty abrasive compound first. once that is done, buff it again with a "micro-finishing" compound. from there, you can either leave it, hand glaze it.

with hand glaze, simply rub it on gently in a circular motion with a clean, soft cloth. let it sit for a minute or two, and wipe it off with another clean rag.

that's it... should come out nice & pretty, as long as you take your time and make sure you do everything carefully. good luck, hope it works out!
Old 09-10-2005, 05:22 AM
japanbran

what paint are you using for this??
Old 09-10-2005, 05:32 AM
delsol161

sounds liek some kind of color match spray can stuff. i have given up on trying to get people to suck it up & use automotive... spray can is juss easier for inexperienced painters
Old 09-10-2005, 03:12 PM
Chizzy

hmm, ok I guess I am going to have to get an orbital polisher(that works for applying "heavy duty abrasive compound" as well as the microfinishing compound correct?)

bigger job than I expected but very well set out.

It's ok if the paint sprays out onto the rest of the bumper that's not being sanded down??
Old 09-11-2005, 09:58 AM
delsol161

Originally Posted by Chizzy
hmm, ok I guess I am going to have to get an orbital polisher(that works for applying "heavy duty abrasive compound" as well as the microfinishing compound correct?)

bigger job than I expected but very well set out.

It's ok if the paint sprays out onto the rest of the bumper that's not being sanded down??
i'd avoid an orbital. it'll cause a lil too much abrasion and risk "burning" the clear. just see if a friend has an electric "Dewalt", or air buffer.

it might, but it won't be that noticeable. you can hand glaze it off.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:42 PM
IntegraGSR12

I agree with the task in order to get the job done. How every I reccommend clearing the whole hood if you can afford it this will save you from buffing and having rough spots if cleared wet and correctly.