Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Brake Caliper Bolt Stuck !!!! HELP !!!

Old 11-06-2005, 09:03 PM
manjitr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Caliper Bolt Stuck !!!! HELP !!!

Hi,
My DYI project (thanks to honda-acura.net). Anyways my 02 accord lx v6 started making grinding noises and became louder each day. So I got new brake pads and browsed the forums here.

Jacked the car. Removed the wheel. Removed the caliper bolts and and saw that the inner brake pad has totally (i mean even the steel at the bottom of the pad was showing) but the outer pad had almost half of it's juice left. On inspection I found that the top caliper bracker bolt (the place where the caliper bolt screws into) has jammed but the bottom one has a spring action to it. I screwed the piston in but the caliper wouldn't clamp on since the top bolt doesn't get pushed in like the bottom one.

I tried spraying WD40 and hammering/tapping it lightly to see if it frees up but it didn't. Any help on how to free it would be great.

Thanks.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:26 AM
Deavvaed1
04 Accord EX V6

Here are your stuck bolt removal options...
1) Penetrating Oil - Yes. This will work very well. Just make sure you soak it all day or overnight. The best IMO penetrating oil I've seen is Kano Labs Kroil oil. http://www.kanolabs.com/.

The best advice I could give is being patient. Take your time and think about it. Sometimes going to a bigger tool is not the answer. You will just risk breaking the bolt. When you do get the nut or bolt to move, step back and take a break for a second. Then cover it with WD-40 or equivalent. Then turn the nut or bolt the other direction (tightening it), and then loosen it. You'll be rocking it back and forth slowly, loosening the bolt. Meanwhile spraying it with WD-40.

2) Use Heat its your best bet Most of the time it will work for you. Start with small amounts of heat and gradually increase it. Remember if you tried lubricant clean it all of as it is flammable. As far as where to put the heat, remember heat expands, so you would heat a nut. For bolts threading into something you heat the area around it.

BE CAREFUL NOT TO MELT ANY OF THE BOOTS, REMEMBER TO LOOK BEHIND WHAT YOUR TORCHING.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:30 PM
manjitr

Default rubber boot

There is a rubber boot on it which i made a small hole through to let the WD40 in. Now to torch it i would have to take the rubber boot out completely. How would I get another rubber boot to get on there once I free it up ?
Old 11-08-2005, 09:06 AM
Deavvaed1
04 Accord EX V6

That boot is really easy to replace once you get the bolt out.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...+BRAKE+%282%29

You want to just heat the bolt, I would try pulling the boot back if you can.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:45 PM
b12uceHuy
Jizz Maste12

go to homedepot and find a pipe and make your self a small breaker bar for ur rench. thats what i do, also turn your wheel outwards you'll have better access to the bolts.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:38 PM
brianbu01

wd-40 isn't as good as penitrating oil you can find at any local parts store. I would try to get the boot off some how and heat it up with a blow torch. Typically if you can get one loose you can pull the caliper back then slide it out. I am not sure of the set up. But if it is that bad you might want to either replace the pins all together or clean them up with a wire wheel. Dont forget to use brake greese whenever putting them back together. Place the greese between any metal to metal contact pionts that are not acutally the pad and rotor.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:19 PM
wrench_lx

uhhh i woudlnt go to homedepot and get a bar and break it loose because if u do "break" it lol ur gonna have alot of headakes the best is to 1 soak it with some wd40 or somethin of the sort and if that dont work heat it up and give er then get a new bolt u can get them in at the auto store i dunno where u from but like auto zone or in cananda canadian tire .....
Old 08-04-2009, 05:46 PM
ppflaumer

Default stuck caliper bolt acura

If anyone should experience this with a honda -acura, the easiest solution is to replace the caliper bracket. Expensive! Another way to remove the slider pin is to drill a small hole opposite the threaded side and soak with penetrant from the back as well as the front and slowly wiggle and pull. It may take a while after letting it soak. When the slider finally comes out, use silicon brake grease and new boots. Seal the drilled hole with silicon. I have done this with a few honda/acuras.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Vicious McNasty

No surprises here. Everyone's pretty much covered it. Try penetrating oil first. If that gets you nowhere, torch the heck out of it. Obviously you want to be careful not to melt the rubber parts, but frankly when i get to that point with things i'm usually prepared to light some things on fire and just get replacements.

Plus you'll most likely have to work on freeing the slider itself once you get the bolt to come loose, and you'll want to make sure the other slider is moving freely, lubricate them both, etc. At that point, replacing a slider boot won't be a big deal.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:29 AM
mattliston
Living and Learning FTW

PB Blaster is awesome. front torque mounts never came off so easy, and those LVOE to get rusted into place (bolts that is)