Notices

How can you tell if your piston rings are bad?

Old 11-06-2005, 08:40 PM
DSMtuner
(-_-)/'i')

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone once told me to do the compression test, then put a SMALL amount of oil in the cylinder, and if the pressure reading jumps significantly, your rings are going. (The oil that isnt normally on top of the piston will seal the rings for the test)
Old 11-06-2005, 08:44 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by DSMtuner
Someone once told me to do the compression test, then put a SMALL amount of oil in the cylinder, and if the pressure reading jumps significantly, your rings are going. (The oil that isnt normally on top of the piston will seal the rings for the test)
That is a wet compression test.

There are some exceptions to that rule, though. You have to keep in mind that there are two functions that the rings serve: compression and scraping the oil off the cylinder walls. The bottom rings scrape and the first ring holds the compression, so you might have good compression but are burning a lot of oil and that is due to bad oil control rings, not compression rings, so the compression test will mean nothing to you.

I had perfect compression on mine, but I was going through a quart a week, so it wasn't the first ring, but rather the 4 underneath it.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:56 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

Originally Posted by Däs Schmoo
That is a wet compression test.

There are some exceptions to that rule, though. You have to keep in mind that there are two functions that the rings serve: compression and scraping the oil off the cylinder walls. The bottom rings scrape and the first ring holds the compression, so you might have good compression but are burning a lot of oil and that is due to bad oil control rings, not compression rings, so the compression test will mean nothing to you.

I had perfect compression on mine, but I was going through a quart a week, so it wasn't the first ring, but rather the 4 underneath it.
Well, I know when I rev up my car smokes, but only on higher revs. And the exhaust smells, like sweet sour smeel. hahaha it burns my nostrols. IDK what that means, but it isnt like adry exhasut liek normal, it is like moist.