Notices

Should I get an Oil Catch can

Old 10-31-2005, 04:38 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get an Oil Catch can

What is the point of an Oil catch can? Do I need one? I thought that only people with Turbo's needed them. Will it improve my performance at all?
Old 10-31-2005, 02:15 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

No, you don't need one for a normal N/A engine.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:18 PM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

Aren't oil catch tanks designed to collect oil from the turbo, and keep it cooler....Sort of like a cold air intake for your oil?
Old 11-06-2005, 01:58 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Oil catch cans are to catch oil vapor and/or oil blowby from the crank case, instead of feeding it back into the intake tract.

On a N/A car, they're really not necessary. I have one on my car, but only because there was no way to hook the PCV line up to my weber carbs.

On a boosted engine, a catch can is a good idea because it's pretty easy to pressurize the crank case and cause excessive oil consumption, especially if the PCV valve isn't working properly. The PCV valve is supposed to be a one-way check valve to keep the crank case at zero pressure differential, but as I said, if it's not sealing correctly in the closed position, then the intake tract could pressurize the crank case.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:08 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

Originally Posted by 1stGenCRXer
Oil catch cans are to catch oil vapor and/or oil blowby from the crank case, instead of feeding it back into the intake tract.

On a N/A car, they're really not necessary. I have one on my car, but only because there was no way to hook the PCV line up to my weber carbs.

On a boosted engine, a catch can is a good idea because it's pretty easy to pressurize the crank case and cause excessive oil consumption, especially if the PCV valve isn't working properly. The PCV valve is supposed to be a one-way check valve to keep the crank case at zero pressure differential, but as I said, if it's not sealing correctly in the closed position, then the intake tract could pressurize the crank case.
Guess I don't need one then. THANX