Notices

(pics) Broken pinion anyone?

Old 10-31-2005, 06:40 PM
h22accord
155mph and still climbing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (pics) Broken pinion anyone?

Here are a couple of pics i took this morning as i was tearing down the rear end out of my s2000.

This is the carrier pumpkin,
s2000carrier.jpg

The pinion gear,
piniongear.jpg

how much oil that was in the case when i drained it(supposed to be 2qt, looks like less than a 1/4qt),right after leaving the dealer and getting less than a block away and WHAM!
drainedoil.jpg

and all the metal that was in the housing when i pulled it apart.
metalincase.jpg

this is a corner of the ring gear
ringgear.jpg
Old 11-01-2005, 07:45 PM
evolution
早晨好, 先生們!™ 粉腸+ 春袋

Ouch, so what's the plan now? How much to fix?
Old 11-02-2005, 05:02 PM
h22accord
155mph and still climbing

Thank the internet god for www.car-part.com. I found a rear carrier on there for 450 bucks shipped to my front door. I went ahead and bought the thing, i recieved it and put it in last Friday. My 4.56 gears are still on order, but when i found almost two weeks ago that it was going to be mid November when they shipped out i decided that i couldn’t wait that long. There is nothing wrong with my housing, so now when they come in ill have two carriers. But when i finally do go forced induction in a year (thank you navy enlistment bonus) I can see which one is better suited for the FI. I pretty much think ill end up sticking with the 4.56, But just in case i tear up another one or just want to see if my car can do 180 ill be able to switch them at will. That rear end is kind of funny. It took me about three hours to get it out (a lift and the right tools would have made it go a lot more quickly) and about an hour and a half to put it back in, doing it all by myself. I think just about anyone that is mechanically inclined could do it.

On another note i don’t know if my other gears had just been binding up and robbing me of power, or it being cold outside has that big of an effect on my car (65F instead of 85F to 100F) But my car seems a lot quicker, since i bought the car it wouldn’t break the tires loose in 2nd gear(if i was on the right pavement it could chirp them) But now it gets squirrelly if im not careful going from 1st to 2nd. Supposedly its a stock rear end with 35K though.