Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Turbo exhaust manifold?

Old 10-24-2005, 03:18 PM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo exhaust manifold?

I was looking at a bunch of different turbo manifolds. I really like the full-race manifold, but I don't like the price tag. I know how to weld good. I have a small ass mendrel bender, and pipe cutter. Could I make my own manifold. Or do the bends need to be 100% presice and flawless? I know I have the ability to weld with no leaks. I just would love to save a couple hundred dollars.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:27 PM
teg92
WHAT OK YEAH!

have you looked into the Blox Turbo Manifolds? I have heard goods things about them and they are fairly cheap
Old 10-24-2005, 08:22 PM
jeterkm02
hatchbacks r my anti-drug

hey ive got a shitty obx turbo manifold. Its got cracks, shitty lookin welds, and really needs to be braced from manifold flange to turbo flange, but if you can weld pretty good then it might not be a bad idea for you.

Im in CT, shoot me a PM if your interested.

btw, teg92 can account for it's shittyness.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:20 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

You don't really need to have the bends perfect, but the welds need to be very thick and the piping very thick to withstand the intense heat. If you have the resources to make a sturdy manifold, I would at least try.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:23 PM
raiden571
turning u inside out

ya, full race is a fucking rip off. anyone willing to pay that is retarded. there are lots of people that re making manifolds that are cheaper then that. LSD motorsports, BMC race, and lots of backyard welders. Im getting a tubular style built for my b with an external flange, t3 flange all in stainless for 260. just look around. to hell with full race, people that pay for that also pay for stupid shit like hondata and 1000 dollar "JDM" exhaust systems
Old 10-25-2005, 06:21 PM
b16ahybrid

Originally Posted by Omniscient
I was looking at a bunch of different turbo manifolds. I really like the full-race manifold, but I don't like the price tag. I know how to weld good. I have a small ass mendrel bender, and pipe cutter. Could I make my own manifold. Or do the bends need to be 100% presice and flawless? I know I have the ability to weld with no leaks. I just would love to save a couple hundred dollars.
Give it a shot, it cant hurt. I'm sure any tubular manifold that you make would out-flow most log style manifolds.You could even flare the end of the pipes so they fit over each-other and then weld away. Doing that would help eliminate any turbulance inside the manifold, nice smooth transition.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:36 AM
EKhothatch

You could get a Neukin Turbo Manifold for half the price, lifetime warranty, and looks just as good or better.

It would probably taking about that money it would take to build the manifold in building a few and fixing the little things you didn't get right the time before (ie practice on building them) to get it right where you want it.

Might as while just buy one.

http://www.neukin.com
Old 10-26-2005, 06:57 AM
lkailburn
college kid

neukin, lovefab, krb or bmc :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 10-28-2005, 07:52 AM
gsr wannabe

Default steel or iron manifold? why?

Inline pro makes a great manifold...it's the one i have, and is quite sturdy...they make stainless steel as well as high silicone ductile iron manifolds, the stainless steel mani is supposed to help with heat dispersion, but it couldn't be more than a few degrees...Anybody for this one? is cast steel better at heat management than the cast iron? If the difference is not significant, the only other reason to get SS rather than Iron would be the weight of the mani itself...but that's not that much of a difference either...hard to tell weighing them with my hands...no scale handy...that can hold that weight...