Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

calculating spring rates

Old 09-10-2002, 06:46 AM
gen2ls/vtec
FOR ME TO POOP ON!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default calculating spring rates

first off, my DA is not a daily driver, so I am willing to sacrifice ride quality for performance on the course. I will be ordering Eibach ERS springs and they will be mated to koni yellows, most likely with the shock rod shortened. I am trying to calculate what spring rates I should get for the front and rear. Is there a mathematical way of doing this? Have any of you ordered springs before and what spring rates are you using? Any help on figuring this out would be much appreciated- I just dont want to jump into this head first until I have done my homework

Thanks
Old 09-10-2002, 06:47 AM
qtiger

I'd just call Ground Control and ask them what they would use.
Old 09-10-2002, 07:17 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

You could double your stock spring rates or even triple them. I got 350f/400r ride is a bit stiff, but my car corners so much better. with Koni Yellows.
Old 09-10-2002, 07:29 AM
gen2ls/vtec
FOR ME TO POOP ON!

I've heard of a lot of people who autocross their car- such as yourself civicsiracer, using a higher spring rate in the rear than in the front- can you describe how it feels for everyday driving and why you decided to use those rates? thanks
Old 09-10-2002, 09:18 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

You want a stiffer rear to get the back to rotate easier. Personally it's a bit rough for PA roads, but bareable. I think next time I will go with soft in the rear, and dial up the shocks to be stiffer and maybe go with 205/50x15" fronts and 195/55x15" rears.

If you are going to use this for everyday driving and maybe some autocrosses I would go with 400f/350r. Get the same length springs, same diameter and that way you can switch the fronts to the rears and vice versa later.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:46 AM
gen2ls/vtec
FOR ME TO POOP ON!

well this car will see minor PA roads and mostly track use so like i said before, I am willing to give up comfort for performance- would that change your suggestions at all? Also my car weighs a good 3-400 lb's more than yours if im not mistaken would you think I should equate that into getting a higher spring rate than what you would need to get the same feel?

thanks for the help
Old 09-16-2002, 08:20 PM
D16ROCKET

I am in the same boat as CivicSiRacer. I am hooked on the autocrossing and have sacrificed ride quality for performance. I too have the heavier springs in the rear (see signature) and I have driven more than 40,000 miles like this. Cross-country (from AL to WI and back again) more than a few times. You have to decide how bad you want it.
Old 09-17-2002, 06:12 AM
gen2ls/vtec
FOR ME TO POOP ON!

thats great that you have a higher spring rate in the rear than in the front, but I'm really trying to find out WHY that makes your car handle better. Also why did you pick 375lb and 400lb respectively? thanks
Old 09-17-2002, 01:46 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

It's all about driving style.

See, in Japan drivers typically run higher rates in the front than the rear, High performance drivers go banzai into a corner, and trail brake, which induces oversteer as they scrub some speed and get back on the gas to power out of a corner. To say the least this will scare the bejeezus out of most American drivers.

In this country, we drive fast by being smooth and coaxing as much grip out of the tires as possible. We brake in a straight line usually, and then power through the corner much, much earlier than our typical Japanese counter-part. Since we enter the corner at a slower speed, we have to get the rear of the car to rotate until we get back on the gas, and so a higher rear spring rate will accomplish this. Turn into the corner, the rear rotates, and once you apply the gas, the weight transfer sticks the rear tires and you're launching off of the apex.

Which is faster? It depends on who is leading, since either driving style could disrupt the routine of the other in close cornering. On equal terms, I'm not sure you can find a noticable difference in lap times with skilled drivers using either method, it's more personal preference than anything.