Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Home-made Short Shifter

Old 10-27-2005, 10:04 AM
raiden571
turning u inside out

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EASY CHIEF!!!! once is enough, lol
Old 10-27-2005, 03:38 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by raiden571
EASY CHIEF!!!! once is enough, lol
Sorry, just had to make my point loud and clear. h:

Double post times two. :chuckles:
Old 02-12-2007, 09:36 PM
autotracer
Yea, OK BUDDY! ^_-

Default please DO NOT DO THIS MOD!!!

Anyone thinking about doing this mod - don't. It's really cheap (50$ on ebay) and freaking easy as crap (took me like an hour and I knew nothing of mechanics at the time) to install a B&M shifter in my old '95 civic. I just bought a '97 ex off a guy, and he had previously cut the shifter shaft about 3-4" down. This after constant usage messed up the internals in the gearbox and cost me a new transmission (it was grinding into 3rd and 4th gears after the 8-9 months after he did it). Maybe it was just the way the guy drove the car, or maybe it was a freak accident, who knows this is just my experience that i've learned from.

$50 > new transmission.
but that's just me and my noobieness.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:59 AM
hondub
^ -dub +da

I know im a little late but i just wanted to say that cutting your shifter isnt going to hurt the internals of the tranny. A real short shifter probaably does more damage due to faster movement of shafts which could be hard on the sychros. And to make a shifter, cut a little off the top then cut the little peice of the end where the shifter hooks to the linkage and weld the little piece you cut off the top in between the ball and the bearing housing. Or buy a $10 ebay one.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:41 PM
88'CRX

well hey the guy i bought my crx from did this to my shifter and it does feel shorter to me...and ya cutting it like this really would have no effect on the transmission in terms of hurting it...but are the shifters from ebay actually good? are they worth it cuz i heard they are kinda cheap and weak..
Old 03-08-2007, 11:15 AM
katraloko

nice i should try it
Old 03-08-2007, 01:04 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Däs Schmoo
No, the difference is a longer fulcrum on the shift rod end. There was nothing done to shorten the throw of the knob, so it was pretty much worthless. I actually measured the length of the Skunk2 vs my stock one and they are the same length, just the pivot point is higher up the shifter.

Whatever floats your boat....:dunno:
No, the difference is a longer fulcrum on the shift rod end. There was nothing done to shorten the throw of the knob, so it was pretty much worthless. I actually measured the length of the Skunk2 vs my stock one and they are the same length, just the pivot point is higher up the shifter.

i thought i was the only one capable of this :chuckles:
Old 07-14-2007, 01:39 PM
90_crx_flaze
Drift King

heres my therory on short shifters, most of the aluminum ones ive drivin with i snapped i dont think i shift hard but yeah i snap then bitches, i have a stock shifter i cut down about 2 inches, and found a old half inch pipe layin around cut it about half an inch long used a hacksaw and cut the shifter under the ball about half way between and welded in the peice of pipe and its been holdin good for about 4 years now, i did retap the shifter and put an oem knob back on and the gears are short and quick. anyone ever heard of a robo shifter? mounts on top of the linkage instead of underneath and its over a foot long and fully adjustable
Old 08-08-2007, 12:41 PM
Accordman95
17 inch polished 6s

does anyone know if the P-spec shifters are any good? Cause I'm bout to buy one.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:32 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Accordman95
does anyone know if the P-spec shifters are any good? Cause I'm bout to buy one.
are you positive you need/want a short shifter.... seems like an awful waste to me.