Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Changing headlight bulb for Odyssey 2001

Old 10-13-2005, 07:50 AM
hondaacuragkim
honda square

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing headlight bulb for Odyssey 2001

This is not a question but my $0.02 on how to change headlight bulbs on 2001 Odyssey. (This may apply to 2002, 2003, and 2004 models).

I searched the web for more than one hour and I can say for sure that instructions for 2000 Odyssey doesn't work for Odyssey 2001.

I found out, from 1st-hand experience, it's the same as for 2001 Accord. Here is how:
(1) Disconnect wiring from the lamp
(2) Remove the rubber cover (you'll see two flaps on the rubber cover on top and at the bottom; use them to hold on to it, and just pull it out).
(3) Loosen the screw that holds the clamp that secures the bulb.
Do NOT completely remove it.
(4) Remove the clamp that secures the bulb.
(5) Remove the bulb by pulling it out. Do not turn the bulb.
* Reverse the order to install a new one.

Driver's Side Note: I had to remove a plastic cover right behind the headlight by pulling out two plastic pins (for lack of a better term). There isn't much room; the touchest part is to loosen and tighten the screw. I had to use a flexsible (snake like) screw driver.

Passenger Side Note: I had to remove the coolent container. You can just slide it up.

I HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE. Thanks.

BTW, DO NOT TOUCH THE BULB GLASS. Just hold on to the end of the bulb.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:32 PM
zip north

Default Not that complicated...

I finally had to replace a headlight bulb after seven years and was pleasantly surprised at the simplicity of the job.

Mostly good advice in this forum message, but needlessly complicated.

Do NOT remove or loosen any screws! After unplugging the lamp socket, remove the rubber boot by pulling on the 2 tabs. Use a mirror to look at the bulb and how it's positioned. Notice that the wire clamp hooks under on one side and pivots on the other. All you have to do is push down, then move the clamp sideways, after which it will swing away from the bulb. Grasp the bulb by the terminals and take out. The bulb can only fit properly one way, look at the notches on the headlight assembly and the metal tabs on the bulb. Install the new bulb. Be careful not to touch the glass portion of the bulb, as with all halogen bulbs. The oil from your hands would create a hot spot on the surface and cause premature burnout. Swing the clamp back into position, re-install the rubber boot, and plug socket back on to bulb. All done! (Except for miscellaneous under hood pieces.)

Last edited by zip north; 02-21-2008 at 01:45 PM. Reason: sp
Old 03-30-2008, 01:03 PM
goldex420

okkkkkkkkk
Old 08-14-2009, 09:54 PM
allisdust

I just changed my head light on my 2001 Odyssey...thank you so much!!!

There is one thing that you may want to change in your post:

Step (3) "Loosen the screw that holds the clamp that secures the bulb." is unnecessary as the clamp pops right off if you push on it...and once the bulb is back in it snaps right back on...you can see this clearly on the passenger side but on the drivers side you have to feel your way through it...it's pretty easy though.

Thanks again...you saved my butt!