Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Oil in my front mount intercooler????

Old 10-11-2005, 07:13 PM
aslowdelsol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in my front mount intercooler????

Hey i just bought a used drag turbo kit from my friend, he blew his gsr motor but the turbo kit seems fine. I was just wondering if thier should be any oil inside my front mount intercooler? Or do you guys think its there because he blew his motor, maybe thats why there is oil in there. If so how could i clean the inside of the cooler then? Any anything else that could be useful or any help would be great. thanks
Old 10-11-2005, 10:40 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Is it a lot of oil?

I am guessing that the oil seals on the turbo have blown and are leaking oil into the compressor housing.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:13 AM
aslowdelsol

Well not that much really,(less than a 1oz) but not sure because the last owner could of clean it. But I shouldn't have any oil at all right? There are also oil at the end of each lower intercooling pipings. So I should bring the turbo to get a basic rebuilt right?
Old 10-12-2005, 08:20 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by aslowdelsol
Well not that much really,(less than a 1oz) but not sure because the last owner could of clean it. But I shouldn't have any oil at all right? There are also oil at the end of each lower intercooling pipings. So I should bring the turbo to get a basic rebuilt right?
If that is the problem, a rebuild would be a good idea.

Before you do that, do you happen to have a hose running from the valve cover to a preturbo intake pipe that may be causing it to suck oil into the compressor?
Old 10-12-2005, 08:10 PM
aslowdelsol

I really don't know what that is, turbo isn't even install on my car yet, i don't know if the last owner have that hose running from there, all i know is that its a drag 3 kit, complete. I check the web and search around, seems likes it the oil seal and that i have to get a rebuilt. Is there any other sign that i can tell if its the seal? Also recommend any place that does a good rebuild? (websites) And, thanks alot for replying and helping me out
Old 10-12-2005, 11:11 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

I know on the Greddy kits that you can install that hose preturbo and it will suck the oil into the compressor blades and into the intercooler piping. I have no idea if it is the same with a drag kit since they may not even use a pipe but just a filter on the compressor housing.

If you can find a rebuild kit for that turbo, it isn't that hard to pull it apart and replace the seals yourself.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:33 PM
TheRooster
Former Senior Member

I ran my old turbocharged engine with improperly spec'ed piston-to-wall clearance (.007" vs. .001"). This caused a TON of blowby in the cylinders, which blew a lot of oil into the cylinders. I found a lot of oil in my intake tubing and called up a turbocharger rebuild shop in Austin about getting a rebuild thinking that the seals in my Turbo had gone. It would have been the second Turbonetics turbo to do so, so I'd assumed the worst.
The company informed me that the "seal" in the turbo is really just two metal rings and that if I had excessive blowby, it would find its way over. I was apt to believe them as it saved me a $700 rebuild and rebalance.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:37 PM
b16ahybrid

Clean it out with gas, just pour some in and swoosh it around then dump it out.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:06 PM
zero1.6

i got a use turbonetics turbo and im getting oil thru my pipes too...
Old 11-01-2005, 11:02 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by zero1.6
i got a use turbonetics turbo and im getting oil thru my pipes too...
Probably needs a rebuild due to bad oil seals. Look into a rebuild kit.