Notices

Water leaks in the trunk...

Old 10-08-2005, 08:40 PM
mikeee2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water leaks in the trunk...

Hello all,

Need some expertise. I've had water leaks into the trunk on my 92 accord for a few years now. I don't really drive this car much. I've tried to look and search where the waters are leaking from, but couldn't locate it. Hopefully, you guys out there with the 90-93 accords can help out.

Basically, there are water coming from the left side corner of the trunk on the driver side. It's the corner by the taillight. I am not sure if there are water leaking in while it's stationed but I know there are water leaking in after driving in a raining day. I usually have a dry towel stucked by the corner just to absorb the water. There was a stretch of a year or two that I didn't look at the leak and by the time I discovered it, there was about a few inches of water covering the spare tire .Anyway, now I tried to dry it every month or so.

Tried putting silicone on the gaps, and holes or edges, etc...but no luck. Any ideas? I also have a very small drip coming from the right corner of the glove compartment ONLY when it's pouring outside. I've been doubling the carpet by that corner to take care of it.

Thanks!!!
Old 10-08-2005, 10:38 PM
shonnv
7th Gen Coupe V6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try it this way, fold down the rear seat and when it rains try to see where the water is coming in from cause thats the only way you can find the leak.
it could be coming up through the tires if there is a leak on the inside wall or where the shocks are connected.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:37 PM
lk21joker
AnotherAccordOwner

Water might leak through your tail light housings. If that's not the case, check to see if your trunk was involved in a rear end accident? If it was cheaply repaired, and the metal is not in the original shape, water will leak through your taillight housings and to your trunk. It happened to me before so it's only my opinion.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:21 PM
mikeee2

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to get my lazy bones to check it out next time.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:42 PM
scanrps
Honda Parts Tech

Like lk21joker mention, the taillight gaskets are a common problem
on the 4th gen. Next check the condition of the trunk seal for
tears or being deformed. If the trunk seal appears OK, you might
try using Shin-Etsu grease to condition the seal( You can get it
at the dealer, expensive but last a long time)
You can also order it here.
http://www.handa-accessories.com/s2000-03.html
Old 10-10-2005, 07:17 AM
fstop128

ive replaced the light gaskets didnt really help much. the white vents in the trunk on the sides behind the trim leak water.. mine comes in the drivers side tail light even with new gaskets the water comes up from the bottom of the light assembly and spills over.. the trunk lid has a leak maybe the honda emblem..a puddle of water always sits in the plastic trunk trim around the latch..
Old 10-10-2005, 09:39 AM
jobrien

Sounds like bad metal work after a rear-end accident....
Old 10-10-2005, 03:02 PM
jpofsc

Default Check your antenna

I have a trunk leak in my 90 accord on the drivers side. My antenna is not in good shape so I dripped water down the shaft and sure enough it all went into the trunk.

The water spreads and puddles in other places so it looks like a huge leak.

You would be amazed how much water gets in from just dripping off the antenna but I have quite a puddle in my car after it sat over the weekend during the rain.

I have not replaced the antenna yet but I believe it may solve the problem.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:53 PM
mikeee2

Originally Posted by jpofsc
I have a trunk leak in my 90 accord on the drivers side. My antenna is not in good shape so I dripped water down the shaft and sure enough it all went into the trunk.

The water spreads and puddles in other places so it looks like a huge leak.

You would be amazed how much water gets in from just dripping off the antenna but I have quite a puddle in my car after it sat over the weekend during the rain.

I have not replaced the antenna yet but I believe it may solve the problem.
Hmm.....interesting. My antenna has been stucked for years. and if you yank it, there's alot of play from left, right, up and down. I wonder if that's where the leak is coming from. Not for one second did I ever thought of the antenna.