Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

Driving schools?

Old 09-09-2002, 05:38 AM
honda_pilot
DeeCeeFo'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving schools?

Hey I am located in Northeast PA, and am looking into getting involved in a racing school or two? I have heard Dodge Skib-Barber, Roos Racing (In pa), Autosport Basi, and Bondruant... I was wondering some of you guys out there racing on a basis, which racing school do you recommend, and if not on list tell me please. I am looking to get my SCCA racing license, and possibly go for the SCCA ProRally license too. Info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance...
Old 09-09-2002, 09:39 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Well you have to pick up an issue of Grassroots Motorsports or Sport Car Racer. In the back you will find schools which are SCCA License accredited. You have to (in most cases) attend one of those schools to get your SCCA Racing License.

There's going to be a NASA HPDE school at VIR and Summit Point next month and November. http://www.nasaproracing.com

You know though Club Racing gets very very expensive though.
Old 09-09-2002, 09:55 AM
honda_pilot
DeeCeeFo'

Thanks for the reply. Are you familiar with any of the schools listed on my original message? If so, what have you heard or experienced through any of them thanks...
Old 09-09-2002, 10:25 AM
CivicSiRacer

Skip Barber and Bondurant is like $2000 for the weekend. Both are great schools. Never heard of the others. I would look up the schooll before you invest in it.
Old 09-09-2002, 06:06 PM
honda_pilot
DeeCeeFo'

Hey listen, thanks man. I appreciate the info. I just realized that you are in Reading, I'm from Scranton/Lake Wallenpaupack area. I'm going to be ending school this symester and am getting a ful-time position in construction. I want get into a car and autocross, have any suggestions, vauable tips... possibly on cars you recommend. Thanks if you want keep in touch.
Old 09-09-2002, 06:25 PM
Shingoblade-GSR
Hellsing Agency

I've heard that the way to go into club racing is to do:

1. Auto-x School then SoloII events
2. Track/hot-lapping days

then from there go to a driving school, get a racing license and go club racing.

I know a lot of east-coast honda guys run with NASA and their race series (keep seeing H1-H5) but I'm not familiar with how that works. If someone could expand more on this that would be great.

But I personally would attend some low-cost driving events first before shelling out $2 grand for a skip-barber type driving school.

Shingo
Old 09-10-2002, 03:09 AM
CivicSiRacer

Originally posted by Shingoblade-GSR
I've heard that the way to go into club racing is to do:

1. Auto-x School then SoloII events
2. Track/hot-lapping days

then from there go to a driving school, get a racing license and go club racing.

I know a lot of east-coast honda guys run with NASA and their race series (keep seeing H1-H5) but I'm not familiar with how that works. If someone could expand more on this that would be great.

But I personally would attend some low-cost driving events first before shelling out $2 grand for a skip-barber type driving school.

Shingo
To run in the East Coast Honda Challenge (ECHC) you need a racing license too. I know some guys who attended Novice, INtermediate, Expert, and Racing classes - took them about 3-5 years.

You do need a good cash flow if you get into Club Racing though. Remember it's DOOR-TO-DOOR and accidents and roll overs do happen. PLus you have to invest in a PURPOSE BUILT race car - none of this daily driver to the tracks anymore. YOu will need a truck and trailer to pull your car, extra set of tires and wheels and i mean extra llike 4-8 sets. Nomex suit ($700-2000), SA rated helmet ($300+), nomex underwear ($100-500), leather racing shoes ($100-500), nomex gloves ($100-500), 6 point roll cage or better ($400-2000), fire suppression system ($$$), and various other equipment. Definitely not cheap - plus a pit crew is a requirement too.
Old 09-10-2002, 03:11 AM
CivicSiRacer

Originally posted by honda_pilot
Hey listen, thanks man. I appreciate the info. I just realized that you are in Reading, I'm from Scranton/Lake Wallenpaupack area. I'm going to be ending school this symester and am getting a ful-time position in construction. I want get into a car and autocross, have any suggestions, vauable tips... possibly on cars you recommend. Thanks if you want keep in touch.
I would get into Solo II first and get your feet wet. Most Pro Racers like Michael Gallati and PD Cunningham all were autocrossers at one time.

Read my help page: http://home.dejazzd.com/mlouie/autocross.html

I run autocrosses with the http://www.nepa-scca.com region - check out their site.
Old 09-10-2002, 03:14 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

depending on events...several teams accept volunteer pit crews (doing mostly odds & ends stuff)...i know the ustcc accepts these...it also helps create interest in the series and helps the volunteer learn about amatuer and even professional racing

i want to run echc within the next year but can't as CSR said...the money has to be there...at least until you are well known on the circuit and post some decent results you can later get sponsors
Old 09-10-2002, 05:54 AM
honda_pilot
DeeCeeFo'

Hey thanks all you guys for all the great info. I guess I will "get my feet wet" first. I love driving and I love cars, and I'm pretty determined to get into this. If I have any more ?'s I'll post but thanks again.

Quick Reply: Driving schools?