Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Air compressor - what do you use/recommend?

Old 10-03-2005, 09:06 PM
MrHankey
90 Accord LX 213K miles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air compressor - what do you use/recommend?

Hello
I am looking to buy an air compressor primarily to use with an impact wrench and also to blow off debris and stuff like that. I searched on the forums but couldn't find too much info (only a few threads, but not really well covered), so I thought I'd ask. Other than having enough power to loosen really tight bolts (such as the crankshaft bolt on my 90 Accord), my only other primary concern is that it not be too obscenely loud. From doing a little research, other people have said that an oil lubricated type will last longer, and run a little quieter than an oilless one. Also, it seems that the impact wrench itself plays a big part in whether it will be able to loosen tight bolts. But as far as the compressor itself, for you guys that have and use one already, I would appreciate knowing what you use and if you recommend it (and how much it costs).
Old 10-05-2005, 03:16 PM
Swisher

I dont personally own my own compressor, but I may be able to give you some useful info.

If you want your impact wrench to work to its full potential, then choosing the correct compressor is key. I dont know what your budget is, but they can get up there in cost.(under $1000 to almost $10,000) Of course you dont need the most expensive as those are for shops, but each compressor has stats that should be able to support your impact wrench.
An impact wrench has a recommended air pressure, and air consumption numbers. A compressor has similar numbers. It has max PSI, and air flow @ a certain psi(related to air consumption of the impact wrench).

Now since I dont know everything about this stuff, you may want someone elses opinion as well, but If you want full power, get a compressor that is close to or excedes airflow recommendations for your gun. If not your gun will still work, but not to the maximum torque it claims to put out.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:51 PM
MrHankey
90 Accord LX 213K miles

OK, thanks. One thing I just realized that limits what I can get is that I only have access to 110 volt outlets. And from looking up impacts, it seems that the better ones tend to use around 4 to 5 CFM. Anyone use a 110V compressor that they would recommend?
Old 10-09-2005, 06:47 PM
noname7198

I got a craftsman compressor from sears for $300 a couple years ago. 6hp 30 gallon tank. Works great. I use it for my impact and air rachet all the time, I also use it to paint. It's a little slow for painting a whole car, but overall I'm happy with it. I would go to sears or home depot and see what they have to offer. You can get one that will do what you need for under $500.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:07 PM
tweedle99

Home depot has a complete air compressor kit for sale around $320. around 5-6 hp 30 gal. Comes w/ all the tools. I bought one about a year ago. It's awesome. It saves so much time and energy. The impact wrench w/ the kit is a bit weak, 250 lb-ft. I'm thinking about getting a bigger one so it can loosen some of the nasty bolts.