Notices

94 Accord trans fluid question

Old 10-01-2005, 10:13 AM
ohgrfreak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Accord trans fluid question

My Auto 94 Accord LX is in dire need of a tranny drain and fill. I looked up the type of fluid to use in my owner's manual and it says that I can use a Dexron II compliant fluid. Doesn't it mean Dexron III? I'm pretty sure I should really use Honda ATF, but I need this done now and I don't think the local Autozone would carry it.

So, what type of fluid should I get other than Honda ATF?
Old 10-01-2005, 11:22 AM
ItsaHonda

The best thing to use besides Honda ATF, is Honda ATF. Otherwise... pour pancake syrup in there...

Just my $0.02. Go to your local Honda dealer and pick up the Honda fluid...
Old 10-01-2005, 11:55 AM
ohgrfreak

Alright, if it's the best. Another question is how much is the Honda ATF over aftermarket brands of fluid. Am I going to have to pay a premium for using Honda's fluid? I know it's a stupid question, but money is super tight right now.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:11 PM
Misa
Pic Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honda ATF doesnt cost much mroe than other brands, but you'll end up paying MUCH mor elater if you try to be cheap and use some generic shit.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:00 PM
ItsaHonda

Hondas automatics are unique in their design, and the Honda fluid is specially formulated specifically for their transmissions. I've seen too many cases of units failing shortly after generic ATF was used to believe otherwise.

I don't believe the Honda ATF is much more expensive than the generic brands, but in any case, it will likely extend the life of your tranny.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:29 PM
ohgrfreak

I checked out my local Honda dealer and you're right, the Honda ATF is only a buck more per quart than aftermarket. So on Monday, I'll be heading over there to pick it up.

Thanks for the advice!