Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Will an exhaust leak make your motor run rich?

Old 10-01-2005, 06:29 AM
sohc driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will an exhaust leak make your motor run rich?

Will an exhaust leak after the o2 sensor make your motor run rich? If so why is that?

I am running:

Hondata s200b
RC 750cc injectors
Walbro HP intank 255lph fuel pump

My car has been tuned and running perfect for over a year. Just since last night is when I started noticing a problem.

My idle is normally at 1000-1100 rpm set by the Hondata, but just recently it has dipped down into the 500s and surges up and down. On top of that, I am running extremely rich. The smell of gasoline and black smoke is coming from the tailpipe(which never happened before). Also, I've noticed my greddy EGT guage has read lower than normal when I am driving around on the highway. Normally, my EGTs are around 600 degrees celcius while cruising at around 3000rpm, but recently my EGTs have dipped down to 450-500 degrees celcius. The car also feels a little more sluggish while cruising, a very very slight hesitation can be felt as well. So something is definitely not right. Could it be anything else?

I've already checked my spark plugs, and each and every single plug is pitch black which is not right. Normally they are grey at the tip and black around the ring.

I also pulled my fuel pump to check everything was ok there, and it was.

Any help/ideas are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Khoi
Old 10-01-2005, 09:49 PM
b16ahybrid

Originally Posted by sohc driver
Will an exhaust leak after the o2 sensor make your motor run rich? If so why is that?

I am running:

Hondata s200b
RC 750cc injectors
Walbro HP intank 255lph fuel pump

My car has been tuned and running perfect for over a year. Just since last night is when I started noticing a problem.

My idle is normally at 1000-1100 rpm set by the Hondata, but just recently it has dipped down into the 500s and surges up and down. On top of that, I am running extremely rich. The smell of gasoline and black smoke is coming from the tailpipe(which never happened before). Also, I've noticed my greddy EGT guage has read lower than normal when I am driving around on the highway. Normally, my EGTs are around 600 degrees celcius while cruising at around 3000rpm, but recently my EGTs have dipped down to 450-500 degrees celcius. The car also feels a little more sluggish while cruising, a very very slight hesitation can be felt as well. So something is definitely not right. Could it be anything else?

I've already checked my spark plugs, and each and every single plug is pitch black which is not right. Normally they are grey at the tip and black around the ring.

I also pulled my fuel pump to check everything was ok there, and it was.

Any help/ideas are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Khoi

I commend you on doing your homework and knowing the basics...
It does sound as though your engine is running excessivly rich. Lower egt's could be because of an excessive rich condition and a loss of power is an indication. Sounds like you check your plugs often, so I would lean towards possibly the 02 sensor giving up.. Although it should throw a code, your afr and agt's would be all aout of whack with a bad 02.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:02 PM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

You can seal most exhaust leaks with liquid nails, though I'm not suggesting you do that. A lot of people frown on that sort of thing....
Old 10-02-2005, 05:27 AM
sohc driver

Originally Posted by b16ahybrid
I commend you on doing your homework and knowing the basics...
It does sound as though your engine is running excessivly rich. Lower egt's could be because of an excessive rich condition and a loss of power is an indication. Sounds like you check your plugs often, so I would lean towards possibly the 02 sensor giving up.. Although it should throw a code, your afr and agt's would be all aout of whack with a bad 02.
Yeah..currently there is no CEL, which is what I was really hoping for. So on Monday, I am unlocking the datalogging capabilities on my hondata. Hopefully from there we can see what's going on. If I can't find anything there, than I am completely out of ideas :-(

Khoi
Old 10-02-2005, 05:34 AM
sohc driver

I am running a turbo setup incase you guys are wondering...
Old 10-02-2005, 02:11 PM
st00pid

Sounds like you may have an exhaust leak before the turbo, that would cause the rich condition. make sure all the bolt are in and tight and check all the gaskets and mating surfaces.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:28 PM
Swisher

It may be possible your fuel pressure regulator is bad. That means theres excessive pressure in your fuel rail, and more pressure means more fuel squirted into your engine
Old 10-06-2005, 07:36 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The exhaust leak might just cause it... IF(?) the exhaust swirls around under the car & collects up around the O2 sensor.

The O2 sensor really measures O2 difference from inside vs. outside. So if the air outside the sensor is full of exhaust, that's gonna create the same signal as a lean mixture; your ECU will try to compensate.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:32 AM
st00pid

The O2 sensor doesnt work that way. It is reactive to the amount of air a fuel in the exhaust. thats it. it will operate in total vacuum out side of the exhaust.

If there is an exhaust leak before the turbo the turbo will not move the same amount of air the car was tuned for.since Hondas use a MAP sensor instead of a MAF. The ECU can measure the pressure but not the actual flow or weight of the air going in the engine.