Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

b18c gsr engine trouble

Old 09-25-2005, 09:00 PM
94_b18c

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b18c gsr engine trouble

hi there i have this problem for 2 months now, when it first happened the idle is really low around 100 400 rpm range and it would go back to normal it happens randomly not constant and it will sputter and the car is jerking around 2000-3000 rpm range while decelerating on any gear foot off the gas but you'll feel it more in 3rd and 4th gear and again it's random not constant, so i changed my plugs,wires,cap and rotor and checked the timing but unfortunately it didn't help, so i took it to a mechanic and he said that everything was fine nothing wrong with it no CEL but he still tried to get some code from the ecu but he didn't get nothing he didn't even charge me, so i tried to ignore it but i can't coz it keeps on happening so i just decided to take it to a shop and do a fuel injection flush and change the fuel filter, and you know what it worked fixes the idle and the sputtering and jerking problem but i noticed it idled a lil high around 950 rpm before i did all that it was idling around 700 rpm,so anyways it fixed it for only 4 days then it started sputtering and jerking again and the idle starts acting up again, do you guys think it's the fuel injector(s)? why would it run fine after i did that right if it's not the injectors.
fuel delivery?
fuel pump?
main relay?
ignition ?
clogged cat?(coz my cat is still stock and it doesn't meet perfectly fromthe exhaust manifold to the cat the guy that did the swap just put a big donut gasket to fill the gap, dunno if that's okay.)
i'm taking it to an acura mechanic 2 weeks from now for them to diagnose it, do you guys think they will figure it out eventhough it's happening randomly?
i would get them to check the ijectors if theyr'e spraying evenly,fuel pressure and anything related to cause that problem.....but for now i need feedback from you guys real bad please please help i wanna get this done with.....thanks
by the way my mods are intake and catback exhaust and the guy that did the swap for me chipped my ecu for free he said it's a costum made chip kinda like hondata....please reply thanks
Old 09-26-2005, 06:24 PM
b16ahybrid

On the back of your intake manifold there is a sensor with 2 bolts and a vacuum hose going to it, remove that (should have a screen in it) clean it with carb cleaner and put it back on to see if that helps. Sometimes when that gats clogged it causes problems like you described. It's often overlooked and an easy fix.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:36 PM
94_b18c

the iac valve? but why did it runs fine after the fuel injection flush?
can a dirty iacv can cause the sputtering and jerking while decelerating in lower rpm? please reply thanks b4 i buy a new set of injectors....
Old 10-09-2005, 08:01 PM
94_b18c

IACV is already cleaned FITV is also ok, i already change the ignition coil but still sputters and jerks but the idle is still okay, sorry for the late reply just got back home from florida, i didn't drive my car for 6 days this is what happen when i got back home i started my car right away and it sputters and stalling so bad that i have to step on the gas so it's not gonna die out but few minutes of driving it idles fine, but now it sputters and jerk even worst than b4 now it's all the rpm range while decelerating foot off the gas, but sometimes it doesn't do it like i said it happen randomly but it's there most of the time, and sometimes it sputters and jerks while driving to a bump or rough road just to give you guys an idea but sometimes it still sputter and jerks even on a smooth road, do you guys have any idea what's up? please help. thanks
Old 10-09-2005, 08:36 PM
b16ahybrid

what kind of gas are you running?
Old 10-10-2005, 07:29 AM
94_b18c

Originally Posted by b16ahybrid
what kind of gas are you running?
i'm runnin 94 octane all the time never use anything lower than that.no mechanic can pin point the problem, idon't have anymore ideas please help thank.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:52 AM
94_b18c

i tried to observed it more i noticed that the fuel pump is priming and it clicks so it can't be that,it starts doing the problem after 20 min. of driving but not all the time like i said it's random, and it does it when i hit a bump or the road is a little rough, it feels like it's not geeting enough fuel or spark.already did a fuel injection flush and changed the fuel filter amonth ago and worked perfect for few days before it start acting up again,got my fuel injectors checked out and the result are the pressure are all even, i'm already tired of this guessing game, i don't know why mechanics can't pin point the problem it would make life easier, just paying them money for nothing even i already went to three acura dealers and they can't figure it out, by the way i forgot to tell you guys and ijust remembered now, the problem started after i put that lucas fuel additive, coz i think that additive has lead on it and it's an upper cylinder lubricant that means it has oil on it ( imagine putting an oil in your gas tank)i don't know if it has something to do with it or it's just a coincidence, but it's been like three months now and it's still doing that crap, i need your input guys coz i can't rely on mechanics here where i'm at, thanks in advance.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:56 AM
94_b18c

i observe the car for 2 days and it drives fine but like i said there are times that it would sputter an jerk,but sometimes it'll just jerk but no sputter,then yesterday i went to wash my car,i noticed after the car wash the car starts sputtering and jerking so bad sometimes backfires while decelerating but it still idles fine,but couple times the idle dropped really low but went back to normal,and i can here this low tone hissing /squeaky sound coming from the driver side of the hood,i can hear that even before but i'm just ignoring it coz it's not doing anything anyways,do you think theres some water went to the tank ? gas line? have no idea, it was fine before the car wash. gas cap is on, and by the way my trunk has a leak everytime it rains water goes in the trunk where the spare donut tire is at the bottom, but i don't think the gas tank is below it or is it? my car is a 94 civic coupe.please reply
Old 10-20-2005, 09:16 PM
94_b18c

thanks guys for your replies and patience i really appreciate that,i called the guy that did the swap for me and asked him about the ecu, and he told me that he guarantee it a 100% that it's not the ecu, he said that it could be ignitiion related, so don't even bother try swapping ecu coz it's not necessary that's what he said,
for the main relay like i said i can hear it prime but not that good,it's not loud enough to hear it, it has to be really quiet around and you have to listen very good for the prime, the click is good enough to hear like after the prime,
the problem started around july of this year up to now so it's been 3 months now,first i change the cap,rotor,wires (aftermarket) and spark plugs (oem ngk),but it didn't fix the problem,so went to a shop to check the ignition timing and replace pcv valve,and the mechanic noticed that the vacuum line for the fuel pressure regulator is not hooked up so he fix that also but there's one vacuum line that is not connected to anything and he says that he doesn't know where it goes he just plugged it coz everything is hooked up right even the one for the secondary butterflies are okay,exept for that one,it's located behind and below the intake manifold,but after he change the pcv valve,fpr vacuum hose and ignition timing the car runs perfect for a week, then it went acting up again, and the idle is really low, so took it to few mechanics and none of them knew what's wrong,so i decided to change the fuel filter and do a fuel injection flush and it work for few days idle was fine car didn't sputter and jerk,then it came back again but still idles fine,coz no mechanic can pin point the problem i figured oh shoot this is gonna be a guessing game, so i went to a shop again to test the injectors and results were fine they all have even pressure,so i did another fuel injection flush just for the heck of it maybe the injectors are just gummed up badly,and again it worked for few days then the problem came back,so i change the ignition coil but it's still doing it, then i start thinking that maybe something clogging the fuel system coz everytime i did a fuel injection flush the car runs perfect for at least few days,but can't do that all the time coz it's an expensive maintenance,and i forgot to tell you guys that the problem started when i use the lucas fuel injector cleaner the upper cylinder lubricant or maybe it's just a coincidence,
and the problem starts after 15 minutes of driving.
and when i didn't use my car for 6 days it was stalling and sputtering so bad but after few minutes it idles fine again but like i said after few minutes of driving the problem starts again like it's not getting enough spark or fuel, do you guys think it's ignitor? main relay? or i need to put oem cap rotor and wires, or maybe i have a bad fuel line? i know this is a guessing game but i need to change some parts until i fix it, but which one do you guys think i have to replace first,coz i'm like 90% sure it's ignition or fuel related problem.
it's only happening when decelerating.please reply and thanks for your time.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:56 AM
psx_pat

Sound similar to my problem.Ok,try this.After you drove your car for 20mins or so and it's normal then try going downhill and put the gear in neutral.After maybe 25 meter or so press the brake (still in downhill) and pull the handbrake and see if the problem acting up.Your problem similar to mine and after around 2-3 months I haven't figure it out what is the problem.