Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting
View Poll Results: What should I do?????? Fix the vtec head I have or get another one
Build and fix the vtec head I have
100.00%
Buy another one from the shop I stated in the paragraph
0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

What should I do?????? Fix the vtec head I have or get another one

Old 09-25-2005, 01:55 PM
CRAZYEG9
THE TRUE O.G.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I do?????? Fix the vtec head I have or get another one

Heres the problem. I bought a First gen SIR1 vtec head off of my boy that was already tapped for vtec and when alcohol is poured in the head it leaks through some of the valves. They don't seem bent but it seems like the cause of this is from wear and tear over the years. I was gonna bring it to a machine shop. They said to get some Super-tech flat top valves and they'd do a valve job on it. But 220 for the valves and 250 for the job is pricey. My boy I bought it off of said he'd buy it back. You think I should sell it back and by a head from a performance shop cause I found a reputable shop that sells SIR1 heads for $550 and they do compression test on them before they take them off of the blocks.

Please explain your answer in detail
Old 09-25-2005, 03:32 PM
qtiger

I would rebuild because then you know it's good. Used heads are used heads, end of story. They might be okay but it's still nowhere near a freshly rebuilt head.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:49 PM
1995Civic
I hate ricers

Its really up to you, whether you feel like going through the hassle of fixing your existing head. Either way, its the same price pretty much. What parts are used on the head from the shop? stock valvetrain?