P0420 Code AGAIN!!!

Old 09-21-2005, 09:04 AM
skabone69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi17
Could you be a little more specific???
this should explain it pretty well

Originally Posted by notoriousB
yup, we did this for a grand total of $3.99+tax i believe!

get this "help" part at your local parts store: 18mm defouler - comes in a pack of 2

here's the package and the two defoulers screwed together

i drilled out the bottom of one with a 1/2 inch drill bit - go slow, use lots of oil, it's thick

i don't have any pictures of the one drilled out alone, but here's two pics of the final product, one from the bottom one from the top. in the second pic you can see how it was drilled. the drilliing is done to be able to fit the o2 sensor thru the 1st defouler.

final product all installed, and skabone confirms "it works!!"

had to persuade the heatshield slightly to clear the new longer o2 sensor but that's no problem.
I got better milage doing this as compared to pulling the fuse for the ECU over and over again. I get about 400miles on a tank now.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:07 AM
Vladi17

This is the cat I'm lookin at buying, looks alright, not off ebay.
What do you think??

http://www.convertersexpress.com/ind...ig=&cylcount=6
Old 09-21-2005, 11:07 PM
stereo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good luck with that $140 cat as you will most likely get the P0420 code again as aftermarket cat. won't burn clean enough to keep the light out as new cat. for the 2.3l motor is $2,000 for a california car as they are ULEV the V6 is cheeper but still lots of money...just use the fouler plug trick with the stock cat. as you will still need to the fouler trick for the aftermarket cat. also if you are from california it's illegal to put a aftermarket cat. on a 0BD2 car.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:52 AM
Maukio
99 Accord LX

There are two O2 sensors on our car and where you got confused is you replaced the O2 sensor on our exhaust manifold. It manages the air/fuel ratio. The code you keep getting means your cat efficiency is below the acceptable threshold, which is determined by the second O2 sensor that's at the back of your cat. Don't pay for a new cat and if you do, get an OEM replacement, not some high-flow cat. You're gonna lose power if you do. I would say just do the spark plug defouler fix that Skabone posted. It's very simple and will cost probably $5.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:07 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by stereo
good luck with that $140 cat as you will most likely get the P0420 code again as aftermarket cat. won't burn clean enough to keep the light out as new cat. for the 2.3l motor is $2,000 for a california car as they are ULEV the V6 is cheeper but still lots of money...just use the fouler plug trick with the stock cat. as you will still need to the fouler trick for the aftermarket cat. also if you are from california it's illegal to put a aftermarket cat. on a 0BD2 car.
No, the F23A5 is the ULEV.

Magnaflow aftermarket cats DO NOT put out check engine lights!

Try the defouler trick though if you please, I'd like to see if it actually works for you. My opinion is that your cat is worn out, but try the $5 fix first like these guys say.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:08 PM
honda guy

just keep in mind that cats carry an 8 year or 80k warrenty from the factory.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:48 PM
TexasHonda

Skabone69, Could you explain the "defouler" a little? Does this prevent the O2 sensor/s from fouling? Did you install on both upstream and downstream O2 sensors? How long has this solution worked for you?

thanks
Old 09-24-2005, 05:50 AM
skabone69

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Skabone69, Could you explain the "defouler" a little? Does this prevent the O2 sensor/s from fouling? Did you install on both upstream and downstream O2 sensors? How long has this solution worked for you?

thanks
it pretty much tricks the secondary 02 sensor and tells the car that the emmissions are running fine. you'll only need to run the defouler for the 02 sensor that is in the cat. I've had the defouler on my car since May and I haven't had a problem. in fact I'm getting better milage now. I was getting 330-360 miles on a tank of gas, now I'm getting 390-410 miles on a tank of gas.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:51 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by skabone69
it pretty much tricks the secondary 02 sensor and tells the car that the emmissions are running fine. you'll only need to run the defouler for the 02 sensor that is in the cat. I've had the defouler on my car since May and I haven't had a problem. in fact I'm getting better milage now. I was getting 330-360 miles on a tank of gas, now I'm getting 390-410 miles on a tank of gas.
Wouldn't that mess up the A/F ratio since the O2 sensor determines how much fuel is to be injected?
Old 09-24-2005, 03:39 PM
TexasHonda

The post-converter O2 sensor monitors O2 content out of the catalytic converter to assess whether converter is performing OK. It can be fooled by exhaust leaks or missing engine, and even too sensitive software assessment of sensor input can cause problems. The post-coverter sensor has no bearing on fuel-air ratio, which is controlled by pre-converter sensor input to ECU.

regards