Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

burns oil

Old 09-20-2005, 10:41 PM
mat1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burns oil

i have a 90 honder accord and when it first starts up for the first min it burns oil hardcore.does any one no y
Old 09-24-2005, 03:52 PM
TexasHonda

This is a symptom of worn valve stem seals. They can be replaced w/o pulling the head, but it requires use of air into the cylinder to hold the valve from falling. Some stuff a short length of nylon rope into the cylinder to hold the valve up. Tricky! I would hate to get the rope fouled around a valve.

Since Accord engine valves come close to the pistons, it might be possible to hold the valves in position w/ the piston at TDC. I don't know this to be the case.

I've never done this and this may be a job better left to a pro w/ experience. If you decide to DIY this job, you need a Honda manual. See following link.

East Coast Honda Manuals Download

Usually a car w/ leaking valve stem seals will begin to puff smoke lightly on an extended idle w/ a fully warm engine.

good luck
Old 09-25-2005, 10:23 AM
mat1

Default ok

thanks alot
Old 09-26-2005, 04:16 AM
raiden571
turning u inside out

could just be bad rings
Old 10-01-2005, 12:42 AM
Highmile
VX Hatch with 431,500!

Take the head off and get a valve job (or get a used head and have the valve job done first and then just do the swap). If the smoke goes away, this is your problem. If you burn oil at high rpm or use the manual trany to slow you down and then have smoke on take off, or smoke all the time... then you have worn rings.

The reason you only have smoke on start up is that the oil sits on top of the valves in the head over night, if there is a loose fit (worn valves or guides etc.) the oil leaks into the cylinder. When you start the car it burns up within a few minutes. Over time this will F-up your catalytic converter and foul plugs all the time.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:14 PM
newfie

Default Damn BLUE SMOKE

Actually you are right in saying it is either the valve stem oil seals or bad rings, but compression can still be fine with a bad ring or oil seal. If it is a ring, it will be the oil control ring, usually a 3 piece ring that gets coated with carbon and sticks in one place. Notice if it only smokes during startup or all the time, or when applying stress (gas). If it is on startup only, is most likely it is oil seals. The heat from the motor causes the ring to expand thus doing it's job even when there is a lot of carbon buildup. If it is all the time or just during stress, most likely with either of the two, it is the oil rings. if you replace the valve stem seals, use the rope as it is much, much easier and reliable then air. Just use nylon (bungee works awsome) rope approx 2-3 feet long and coil it into the cylinder while turning and it will coil like a slinkey. Then bring the cylinder you are working on upto TDC and the rope will hold the valves inplace when you let go the keepers. Rings can be replaced while block is in the car.

If you need anymore info, just e-mail me.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:52 PM
petro24

I have a similar problem with my 95 civic EX SOHC, a small cloud of smoke comes out off the exhaust when I get into it. It is then followed by a burning smell. I'm assuming it's my rings but I'm not sure. What do you guys think?
Old 10-04-2005, 09:31 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by petro24
I have a similar problem with my 95 civic EX SOHC, a small cloud of smoke comes out off the exhaust when I get into it. It is then followed by a burning smell. I'm assuming it's my rings but I'm not sure. What do you guys think?
Sounds like rings to me.

Those were the same symptoms that I experienced when my rings took a dump on me.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:54 PM
tehart

Originally Posted by mat1
i have a 90 honder accord and when it first starts up for the first min it burns oil hardcore.does any one no y
Ironic you should mention this... My 90 Accord does the same thing and I've been meaning to ask about it on here... Alright... My car only burns oil for a minute or so on startup, so should I assume that the problem is oil seals? How in-depth is the fix for this? Should I take advantage of the chance for a learning experience, or leave it to professionals? As it's a 90, even if I FUBAR it, it's not a big deal; it would just be an excuse to jump at that MX6 I've been looking at. What do you guys suggest?