Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

what civic vtec motor can go in a teg

Old 09-20-2005, 07:19 PM
ACT I

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what civic vtec motor can go in a teg

My uncle is a tow truck driver so i can get a vtec motor if there is one in his yard for about 350 i no the price is good and i was previously told which vtec motor is best for my 90teg but i also want to no if i can take a vtec out of a civic and put in my teg since my teg is pretty much a luxury civic.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:28 PM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

A 90 Teg huh?

Well legally you're not supposed to take a motor from an OBD1 or 2 type car and put it in pre OBD car. Honestly I'm not even sure if the 90 Integra you're talking about applies to this problem, but it's somthing to consider either way.

But back to the motor. You'd probably be better off going with a B18 from another Teg because the Civic motors have way less torque. I don't pretend to be a mechanic so that's why my answers are a littl vague, but I'm sure someone else will hit on these same matters later.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:45 PM
Schwa
Schiggity

Haha. As Dave's sticky said, try the hybrid forum.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:16 PM
hakjai

Out of a civic? B16a
Old 09-21-2005, 01:06 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...d.php?t=203947

Moved. That link explains why. :a:

----
Why in God's name would you want to toss a larger-displacement DOHC four for a SOHC mill? :eh: Even if the factory motor is dying, I'd replace it with another B18A.

*B16A*: 160hp, but 110 lbft @ 5600±. No goddamn torque. Any transmission worth using with that motor will drive you batty, unless you want to live at 5000 rpm on a daily basis.

*D16Z*: Again, why bother? Same factory rating as the B18A, but with a weaker low-end.
----
And in terms of general smog legality:
You can install an OBD-1 or OBD-2 motor in a pre-OBD car without issue, provided you keep all of the factory emissions equipment for the newer engine installed and functional. This is where the expense comes in.

In short: Make life easy on yourself. If your original B18A is knackered, rebuild it or replace it in kind. Downgrading to a VTEC D-series buys you nothing.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!