Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Honda/Acura Fuel Pump Questions....

Old 09-19-2005, 04:56 PM
verothacamaro
V-Meister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda/Acura Fuel Pump Questions....

I own a 1989 Civic 4 Door with an LS Swap...It has all your basic boltons....

but I had a turbo on it, which I recently removed.....during the life of engine with the turbo I added a 255lbs/h fuel pump.

I did a search for fuel pumps here and I couldn't find anything that helped....

Does anyone know of a list of all the capacities of all the Honda/Acura Fuel Pumps?

I need to lean this car out...but I also want to have more than normal fuel during hard driving.

My gas efficiency is crazy low too, and considering this is a daily driver...I need to have something more practical.

Accord Fuel Pumps?
Integra?
Civic?
CRV?
RSX?
Prelude?
Old 09-19-2005, 10:00 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

You could step down to a 190 lph pump if you so desire, but I tend to think that the larger pump has little to do with your crappy gas mileage.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:53 AM
qtiger

Size of fuel pump has nothing to do with your problem if your FPR is working properly.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:59 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If the pump is TOO big, then the FPR might not be able to handle it. FPR opens all the way, but the flow overwhelms it & the pressure is too high. I don't know what flow rate causes this to happen, but it'll be worst at idle.

Why do you think you need to lean it out? Why do you think you need a different pump to accomplish that? Is the fuel pressure actually too high when idling? Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?
Old 09-24-2005, 09:31 PM
ex2kciv2

How much boost are you running? Unless it's very high, the 190 L/h (liters per hour) pump should be quite sufficient. Although the 255 L/h pump you have now will run the car fine, it is capable of producing excessive fuel pressure at idle, particularly if it's the "HP" model (although an adjustable FPR can rectify this, when set correctly). Lastly, what does your air/fuel ratio look like when you're not under boost? The gas mileage issue, unfortunately, can be caused by many things other than the fueling system.

Last edited by ex2kciv2; 09-24-2005 at 09:34 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 09-24-2005, 10:12 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by ex2kciv2
How much boost are you running? Unless it's very high, the 190 L/h (liters per hour) pump should be quite sufficient. Although the 255 L/h pump you have now will run the car fine, it is capable of producing excessive fuel pressure at idle, particularly if it's the "HP" model (although an adjustable FPR can rectify this, when set correctly). Lastly, what does your air/fuel ratio look like when you're not under boost? The gas mileage issue, unfortunately, can be caused by many things other than the fueling system.
The car isn't boosted. He stated that the turbo was removed and the fuel pump remained.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:27 PM
verothacamaro
V-Meister

well, the car bogs down like theres TOO much fuel. I know how things are supposed to run, and this isnt it.

I took out the 12:1 FMU....that definately helped...

but it still runs rich.....

I dont want a hardcore fuel pump, I dont need it....

any other ideas?

you guys are extremely helpful, I appreciate all the replies
Old 09-27-2005, 08:10 PM
b16ahybrid

Originally Posted by verothacamaro
well, the car bogs down like theres TOO much fuel. I know how things are supposed to run, and this isnt it.

I took out the 12:1 FMU....that definately helped...

but it still runs rich.....

I dont want a hardcore fuel pump, I dont need it....

any other ideas?

you guys are extremely helpful, I appreciate all the replies
Option A: go back to a stock fuel pump
Option B: leave that pump in and get an adjustable fpr to tune your pressure down
option C: Trade someone.
The stock pump is more then sufficient for your set-up.
I would either trade someone for a stock pump + cash or buy an aem fpr and call it a day.